Finding Image for a Thick bi-concave Lens

• Thread starter davydany
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Image Lens
In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, when using the thin-lens equation to determine image location for a bi-concave lens, it is important to consider the limitations of the equation, such as the assumption of an infinitely thin and symmetric lens. Other methods may provide more accurate results for thick lenses.
davydany

Homework Statement

A bi-concave lens (n=2) has radii of 15cm and 25cm, and an axial thickness of 6-cm. Use the thin-lens equation to see how far off it is in determining the final image location.

Homework Equations

n1/so + n2/si = (n2 – n1)/R;

(n-1)(1/R1 – 1/R2) = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the focal length of the lens to be 28.846 using the 2nd equation above.
(2-1)[1/15 - 1/25 + ((2-1)*6) / (2*15*25))] = 28.846

I found h1 and h2 to be -3.46 and -5.77, respectively.

I realize that So = 10cm + h1 = 10 + 3.46 = 13.46

I plugged this into the Len's Maker's Equation (1/so + 1/si = 1/f) and found that si = 25.24.

I had a couple of questions with this:
  1. Do thick concave lens have first and second principle points (h1 and h2)?
  2. The axial thickness is 6cm. However, h2 is -5.77 and h1 is -3.46. It seems like they are crossing each other and h2 is found where h1 is supposed to be and vice versa.
  3. Am I approaching this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach seems to be correct. However, there are a few things to consider when using the thin-lens equation to determine image location for a bi-concave lens.

Firstly, it is important to note that the thin-lens equation is only an approximation and may not give a completely accurate result for thick lenses. This is because the thin-lens equation assumes that the lens is infinitely thin, which is not the case for a bi-concave lens with an axial thickness of 6cm.

Secondly, the thin-lens equation assumes that the lens is symmetric, meaning that the radii of curvature on either side of the lens are equal. In the case of a bi-concave lens, this is not true as the radii of curvature are 15cm and 25cm. This can lead to some discrepancies in the results obtained using the thin-lens equation.

To answer your specific questions, thick lenses do have first and second principle points, but they are not always easy to determine. In the case of a bi-concave lens, the first principle point is located on the left side of the lens, while the second principle point is located on the right side. The axial thickness of the lens can affect the location of these points, which is why they appear to be crossing each other in your calculations.

In conclusion, while your approach is correct, it is important to keep in mind the limitations of the thin-lens equation when dealing with thick lenses. It may be helpful to use other methods, such as ray tracing or the matrix method, to get a more accurate result for image location in this case. I hope this helps clarify your understanding.

1. What is the purpose of finding the image for a thick bi-concave lens?

The purpose of finding the image for a thick bi-concave lens is to determine the location and characteristics of the image formed by the lens. This is important in understanding how the lens affects light rays passing through it and how it can be used in various applications.

2. How do you find the image for a thick bi-concave lens?

To find the image for a thick bi-concave lens, you can use the thin lens equation, which relates the object distance, image distance, and focal length of the lens. You can also use ray tracing, where you trace the path of a few light rays from the object through the lens to determine where they intersect and form the image.

3. What factors affect the image formed by a thick bi-concave lens?

The image formed by a thick bi-concave lens is affected by several factors, including the object distance, lens thickness, lens curvature, and refractive index of the lens material. These factors determine the magnification, size, and location of the image.

4. What is the difference between a thick bi-concave lens and a thin bi-concave lens?

A thick bi-concave lens is one that has a significant thickness compared to its radius of curvature, while a thin bi-concave lens has a thickness much smaller than its radius of curvature. This difference can affect the image formed, as a thick lens can introduce more distortion and spherical aberration.

5. Can a thick bi-concave lens form a real image?

Yes, a thick bi-concave lens can form a real image, but it is typically not as clear as the image formed by a thin lens. The thickness of the lens can cause more distortion and aberrations, resulting in a less sharp image. However, with proper design and adjustment, a thick lens can still form a usable real image.