Finding Intersections: Subsitution Method Help

• Thread starter bob4000
  • Start date
In summary, there are two ways to substitute in equations when using the substitution method. One is to add or subtract the same value from both sides, and the other is to multiply or divide both sides by the same value. These are both valid methods for solving equations and can help determine the intersection points when given two equations.
bob4000
i need some help with the following:

i know how to calculate the intersections when an equation like 3x+4y=33, y=x-1. but what do i do when y=x-1 becomes 2y=x-1; all of this using the substitution method. thnx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If 2y = x - 1 then y = (x - 1)/2 = 0.5x - 0.5.

thts what thought but it doesn't seem to correlate with the answers in the textbook. i'll try again. thnx all the same

bob4000 said:
i need some help with the following:

i know how to calculate the intersections when an equation like 3x+4y=33, y=x-1. but what do i do when y=x-1 becomes 2y=x-1; all of this using the substitution method. thnx

There are two simple ways to substitute.

First, you can add 1 to both sides of the second equation:
2y + 1 = x - 1 + 1
2y + 1 = x
So now you can substitute 2y+1 instead of x in the first equation.

Another way would be to multiply both sides with 1/2:
2y * 1/2 = (x - 1) * 1/2
y = (x-1)/2
Now you can substitute (x-1)/2 instead of y.

Remember, you are allowed to add the same number to both sides, and to multiply both sides with the same number.

i jus thought tht it wud be a little bit more complicated, but thnx all the same, jus needed to make sure i was on the right track.

1. How does the substitution method work?

The substitution method is a technique used to solve a system of equations. It involves solving one of the equations for one of the variables and then substituting that expression into the other equation. This eliminates one of the variables and allows you to solve for the other variable.

2. When should I use the substitution method?

The substitution method is best used when one of the equations has a variable with a coefficient of 1 or -1. It is also useful when one of the equations is already solved for a variable.

3. Can I use the substitution method for any system of equations?

Yes, the substitution method can be used for any system of equations, as long as the equations are linear (meaning the variables are raised to the first power and there are no exponents or radicals).

4. What do I do if there is no solution when using the substitution method?

If there is no solution when using the substitution method, it means the two equations do not intersect. This could happen if the lines are parallel or if they are the same line.

5. Are there any other methods for finding intersections besides substitution?

Yes, there are other methods for finding intersections such as graphing, elimination, and using matrices. Each method may be more efficient depending on the specific system of equations.