Finding length of driveway (work-kinetic energy theorem)

In summary, the length of the driveway can be calculated by determining the work done on the car, which is equal to the change in kinetic energy. Using the given values for mass, initial velocity, and friction force, the work done is found to be 15,162 J. Then, the net force acting on the car can be calculated by subtracting the friction force from the x component of gravity. Using this net force, the length of the driveway can be found by dividing the work done by the net force, giving a value of 4.98 metres. However, this is slightly different from the given answer of 5.1 metres, suggesting a possible error in the calculations or equations used.
alyston

Homework Statement

A 2.1*10^3 kg car starts from rest at the top of a driveway that is sloped at an angle of 20° with the horizontal. An average friction force of 4.0*10^3 N impedes the car's motion so that the car's speed at the bottom of the driveway is 3.8m/s. What is the length of the driveway?

Homework Equations

W=ΔKE
KE=1/2MV^2
W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

Ff=4000N
m=2100 Kg
θ= 20°
V=3.8 m/s

W=ΔKE
W=(1/2)(2100)(3.8^2)= 14,440 J

I found the x component of gravity...
mg * sin 20
(9.81)(2000) * sin 20 = 6710 N

6710 N - 4000 N = 2710 N = net force

14440/2710 = 5.3 m

But the book says it's 5.1 m so I'm not sure what I did wrong.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
5.18 metres

you used 2000 kg instead of 2100

Oh, whoops, I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing that out.

So I went back and redid some of my calculations:

W=(1/2)(2100)(3.8^2)= 15,162 J
(9.81)(2100) * sin 20 = 7046 N

7046 N-4000N=3046 N

15,162/3046=4.98 m

Hmmm...it's still a little off. Am I using the right equations?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and variables. In this case, the work-kinetic energy theorem (W=ΔKE) is the most appropriate equation to use, as it relates the change in kinetic energy to the net work done on an object. The variables given in the problem are the mass of the car (m), the angle of the driveway (θ), the average friction force (Ff), and the final speed of the car (V).

Next, I would use the given information to calculate the net work done on the car. This can be done by subtracting the friction force (Ff) from the x-component of the force of gravity (mg*sinθ). This results in a net force of 2710 N.

Then, I would use the work-kinetic energy theorem to calculate the change in kinetic energy (ΔKE) of the car. This can be done by multiplying the net force by the distance traveled (d) down the driveway. This distance is equal to the length of the driveway, so we can use d as the unknown variable.

Substituting the known values into the equation, we get:

W=ΔKE
2710 N * d = (1/2)(2100 kg)(3.8 m/s)^2
d = (14,440 J)/(2710 N)
d = 5.33 m

This value is slightly different than the one given in the book (5.1 m), but it is likely due to rounding errors or slightly different values for the given variables. Overall, the approach and calculations used are sound and provide a reasonable answer.

1. How do you find the length of a driveway using the work-kinetic energy theorem?

To find the length of a driveway using the work-kinetic energy theorem, you will need to measure the mass of the object being moved (such as a car), the initial velocity of the object, and the final velocity of the object. Then, you can use the equation W = ΔKE = ½mvf² - ½mvi², where W is the work done, ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity. Rearrange the equation to solve for distance, d = (2W)/(m(vf²-vi²)). This will give you the length of the driveway.

2. What units should be used for the variables in the work-kinetic energy theorem equation?

The units for the variables in the work-kinetic energy theorem equation are as follows: W (work) is measured in joules (J), ΔKE (change in kinetic energy) is measured in joules (J), m (mass) is measured in kilograms (kg), vf (final velocity) and vi (initial velocity) are both measured in meters per second (m/s).

3. Can the work-kinetic energy theorem be used for any type of driveway surface?

Yes, the work-kinetic energy theorem can be used for any type of driveway surface as long as the mass of the object being moved and the initial and final velocities are known. However, it is important to note that the equation assumes a constant force being applied to the object. If the surface of the driveway is not smooth or if there are obstacles along the way, the force applied may not be constant and the equation may not give an accurate result.

4. Is the work-kinetic energy theorem the only way to find the length of a driveway?

No, the work-kinetic energy theorem is not the only way to find the length of a driveway. Other methods such as using a measuring tape or wheel can also be used to measure the length of a driveway. However, the work-kinetic energy theorem can be a useful tool for calculating the length of a driveway without physically measuring it.

5. Are there any limitations to using the work-kinetic energy theorem for finding the length of a driveway?

One limitation of using the work-kinetic energy theorem is that it only considers the work done by a constant force. This means that it does not take into account the effects of friction or other external forces that may be present on the object being moved. In addition, the equation assumes that the object is starting from rest and ending at rest, so it may not be accurate if the object is already in motion or if it does not come to a complete stop at the end of the driveway.