Finding magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation

In summary, the problem is asking for the maximum angle theta for a pendulum with an initial angular velocity of 47.5 rad/s swinging to the left at t=0. The given values are wo=47.5 rad/s and w=60.7 rad/s, with w representing the angular frequency of small oscillation. The equations for this problem are v=-wA and w= sqrt(g/r). The approach suggested by someone is to use energy equations and trigonometry to find the maximum angle. However, there is confusion about the values of w and wo and the meaning of "small oscillation." More clarification is needed to solve the problem.
kojack21

Homework Statement

Suppose at t=0, theta=0 degrees a pendulum swings to the left with angular velocity wo=47.5 rad/s. Find the magnitude of the maximum angle theta for the oscillation. Given w=60.7 rad/s, and wo=47.5 rad/s, where w is angular frequency of the small oscillation. Answer in units of rad.

Homework Equations

v=-wA
w= sqrt(g/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have NO idea! Someone please help, I don't even know if my equations are right...any info would be nice. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
may be solved using energy equations (if you don't want to use calculus, sounds like a calculus question to me)

So, I guess it's @ the lowest position @ theta=0
and thus if you can find kinetic energy, you would be able to get amplitude
and using trignometry, you will be able to find the maximum angle.

The class I am taking is algebra based, but I don't know what approach to use to start the problem. I am not sure what to do. Someone told me to do R= g/w^2 and A= woR/w...so sin theta= A/R and you would get your angle, but that is wrong. Any other thoughts?

I really don't have any clue about what is w...

I am guessing that wo is the angular velocity when the pendulum is @ the bottom.., and it is 47.5..

Can you please clarify over w and what do you mean by "small oscillation"?

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of finding the magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation?

Finding the magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation is important because it helps us understand the behavior and stability of a system. It is a measure of how far the system can deviate from its equilibrium position before it starts to oscillate uncontrollably.

2. How is the maximum angle theta for oscillation determined?

The maximum angle theta for oscillation can be determined by solving the equation of motion for the system and finding the values of theta that result in maximum amplitude of oscillation. This can be done analytically or through numerical methods.

3. Can the magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation change?

Yes, the magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation can change depending on various factors such as the properties of the system, external forces, and initial conditions. It can also change over time as the system evolves.

4. How does the magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation relate to the natural frequency of a system?

The magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation is directly related to the natural frequency of a system. As the natural frequency increases, the magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation also increases, meaning the system becomes less stable and more prone to oscillation.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation?

Understanding the magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation is crucial in designing and analyzing various mechanical and electrical systems such as bridges, buildings, and electronic circuits. It helps engineers ensure the stability and safety of these systems.