1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding magnitude of maximum angle theta for oscillation

1. Jul 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose at t=0, theta=0 degrees a pendulum swings to the left with angular velocity wo=47.5 rad/s. Find the magnitude of the maximum angle theta for the oscillation. Given w=60.7 rad/s, and wo=47.5 rad/s, where w is angular frequency of the small oscillation. Answer in units of rad.

2. Relevant equations
    v=-wA
    w= sqrt(g/r)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have NO idea!! Someone please help, I don't even know if my equations are right...any info would be nice. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2007 #2
    may be solved using energy equations (if you don't want to use calculus, sounds like a calculus question to me)

So, I guess it's @ the lowest position @ theta=0
    and thus if you can find kinetic energy, you would be able to get amplitude
    and using trignometry, you will be able to find the maximum angle.

4. Jul 21, 2007 #3
    The class im taking is algebra based, but I dont know what approach to use to start the problem. I am not sure what to do. Someone told me to do R= g/w^2 and A= woR/w....so sin theta= A/R and you would get your angle, but that is wrong. Any other thoughts?

5. Jul 21, 2007 #4
    I really don't have any clue about what is w...

I am guessing that wo is the angular velocity when the pendulum is @ the bottom.., and it is 47.5..

Can you please clarify over w and what do you mean by "small oscillation"?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?