Harmonic Oscillator Homework: Issues with d)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a harmonic oscillator and its equation of motion. The amplitude, maximum velocity, and period of the oscillation are determined in parts (a) through (c). For part (d), the object is at its equilibrium position when the argument of the cosine function is equivalent to π/2 or 3π/2, which occurs every half period.
alex91alex91alex

Homework Statement

I am having issues with d) and would like to know if I did the a, b, and c correctly. I have tried to look online for explanation but with no success.

A harmonic oscillator executes motion according to the equation x=(12.4cm)cos( (34.4 rad /s)t+ π/5 ) .

a) Determine the amplitude of the oscillation.
b) Determine the maximum velocity of the oscillation.
c) Determine the period of the oscillation.
d) Determine when the object is at its equilibrium position.

Homework Equations

max v=Aw
T=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Determine the amplitude of the oscillation.

Amplitude would just be 12.4cm, we can take it straight out from the equation.

b) Determine the maximum velocity of the oscillation.

max v=Aw=0.124m*34.4rad/s=4.27m/s

c) Determine the period of the oscillation.

Here we know that 2π rad is one turn so 34.4 rad is 5.48 turns.
So we have 5.48 turns per second.

T=1/f=1/5.48=0.183secs

d) Determine when the object is at its equilibrium position.

I know that the object is in equilibrium when x=0, so
0=(12.4cm)cos( (34.4 rad /s)t+ π/5 )

I may be missing some algebra skills, but I even try to compute it online and it wields no solution. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work on parts (a) through (c) looks fine.

For part (d), consider what the argument of the cosine function needs to be for the cosine to be zero. (Hint: there are many such angles)

So cos( (34.4 rad /s)t+ π/5 ) need to equal 0?

(34.4rad/s)t+π/5 has to be equal to π/2 or 3π/2?

That is going to wield t= 0.02739s and 0.1187s, does not feel right though because a period takes 0.183secs.

alex91alex91alex said:
So cos( (34.4 rad /s)t+ π/5 ) need to equal 0?

(34.4rad/s)t+π/5 has to be equal to π/2 or 3π/2?
Yes.

In fact, the cosine will be zero every time its argument is equivalent to π/2 or 3π/2. You should be able to write it as a function of n, where n = 0,1,2,... Or you can solve for the first instance (n = 0 so that the argument is π/2) and then it will happen every half period after that.

Likes alex91alex91alex

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a type of system that exhibits periodic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Examples of harmonic oscillators include a mass attached to a spring, a pendulum, and an LC circuit.

What is the equation of motion for a harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a harmonic oscillator is given by F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

What are the main issues with d) in harmonic oscillator homework?

The main issues with d) in harmonic oscillator homework may include not understanding the concept of damping, not knowing how to apply the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator, and difficulty in solving differential equations.

How do you solve for d) in harmonic oscillator homework?

To solve for d) in harmonic oscillator homework, you need to understand the concept of damping and its effect on the motion of the oscillator. Then, you can use the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator and solve the resulting differential equation to find the solution for d).

What are some common strategies for solving d) in harmonic oscillator homework?

Some common strategies for solving d) in harmonic oscillator homework include using the concept of damping and understanding how it affects the motion of the oscillator, using the equation of motion for a damped harmonic oscillator, and breaking down the problem into smaller steps to make it more manageable.