Find Maximum Speed of Athlete in 100m Sprint - Solve with Integration

In summary, the problem involves an athlete reaching her maximum speed in 3 seconds and maintaining it until the finish with a total time of 11 seconds. To determine her maximum speed, the kinematics equation involving final velocity, initial velocity, distance and time can be used. No calculus is needed as her acceleration is constant. Drawing a sketch of the velocity-time graph and finding the area under the graph can also help in finding the velocity.
Junkwisch
In a 100 metre sprint, an athlete reaches her maximum speed in 3.0 seconds, starting from rest, assuming constant acceleration. She maintains her maximum speed until the finish, with an overall time of 11.0 seconds. Determine her maximum speed, vmax.

I'm trying to solve this problem but it is with little successes, I realized that this is not a constant motion (she stop accelerating). Thus I have to solve it with some kind of integration. Can anyone tell me what equation do I have to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you don't need calculus here. Her acceleration was constant and she reached the maximum speed in 3 seconds and covered a distance of 100m.
You can use the kinematics equation involving final velocity, initial velocity, distance and time

But I don't know what her acceleration is, even though it is constant for the first three seconds. Since I do not know her displacement in the last eight seconds.

Junkwisch said:
But I don't know what her acceleration is, even though it is constant for the first three seconds. Since I do not know her displacement in the last eight seconds.
Oh, I think I misinterpreted the question. What you can do is draw a sketch of the velocity time graph. You don't know the velocity so leave the y-axis empty. Since the area under the graph is the distance , you can find the velocity.
It should be in a trapezium shape.

Likes 1 person
Thankyou so much adjacent, it worked :D

You are welcome :smile:

1. What is the purpose of using integration to find the maximum speed of an athlete in a 100m sprint?

The purpose of using integration in this context is to calculate the athlete's average speed over time, and then use that information to find the maximum speed achieved during the 100m sprint. Integration allows us to take into account the changes in speed over time, rather than just looking at the final result.

2. What data is needed to solve for the maximum speed using integration?

To solve for the maximum speed, we need to know the distance covered (100m) and the time it took the athlete to complete the sprint. This information can be obtained through video recordings or timing equipment.

3. How is integration used to find the maximum speed of an athlete in a 100m sprint?

Integration is used by taking the derivative of the displacement equation with respect to time, which gives us the velocity equation. By setting the velocity equation equal to 0 and solving for time, we can find the time at which the athlete reached their maximum speed. Plugging this time back into the velocity equation will give us the maximum speed achieved by the athlete.

4. Are there any assumptions made when using integration to find the maximum speed of an athlete?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made when using integration to find the maximum speed of an athlete. First, we assume that the athlete's speed is constantly changing throughout the sprint, and can be represented by a continuous function. We also assume that there are no external factors, such as wind or incline, that may affect the athlete's speed.

5. Can integration be used to find the maximum speed of an athlete in other types of races?

Yes, integration can be used to find the maximum speed of an athlete in other types of races, as long as we have the necessary data (distance and time). However, the equations and calculations may differ depending on the type of race and any external factors that may affect the athlete's speed.