Finding orthogonal unit vector to a plane

In summary: Both of them are normal to the plane, so it doesn't matter which one you choose as long as it is a unit vector.
Erenjaeger

Homework Statement

find the vector in R3 that is a unit vector that is normal to the plane with the general equation

x − y + √2z=5

[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so the orthogonal vector, I just took the coefficients of the general equation, giving (1, -1, √2)[/B]
then because it says unit vector i used the fact that v/||v|| gives the unit vector of 'v'
solving for the unit vector (1/2, -1/2, √2/2)
but the correct answer is (-1/2, 1/2, -1,√2)
where have i gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your vector a unit vector? (amplitude=1). You need to normalize it. It is equally correct if it points in the opposite direction. editing... Reading it closer I see you correctly normalized it. @Ray Vickson also answers it correctly in the post that follows.

Erenjaeger said:

Homework Statement

find the vector in R3 that is a unit vector that is normal to the plane with the general equation

x − y + √2z=5

[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so the orthogonal vector, I just took the coefficients of the general equation, giving (1, -1, √2)[/B]
then because it says unit vector i used the fact that v/||v|| gives the unit vector of 'v'
solving for the unit vector (1/2, -1/2, √2/2)
but the correct answer is (-1/2, 1/2, -1,√2)
where have i gone wrong?

Both versions are correct: they are both unit vectors, and both of them are perpendicular to the plane. They just point in opposite directions: one points North and the other points South.

1. What is an orthogonal unit vector?

An orthogonal unit vector is a vector that is perpendicular (orthogonal) to a plane and has a magnitude of 1. It is a unit vector because it has a length of 1, making it a convenient choice for many mathematical calculations.

2. Why is it important to find an orthogonal unit vector to a plane?

Finding an orthogonal unit vector to a plane is important because it allows us to describe the orientation and direction of the plane in a simple and concise manner. Additionally, it is a useful tool in many applications, such as in computer graphics, physics, and engineering.

3. How do you find an orthogonal unit vector to a plane?

To find an orthogonal unit vector to a plane, you can use the cross product of two non-parallel vectors that lie on the plane. The resulting vector will be orthogonal to the plane, and to make it a unit vector, you can divide it by its magnitude.

4. Can there be more than one orthogonal unit vector to a plane?

Yes, there can be an infinite number of orthogonal unit vectors to a plane. This is because for any given plane, there are infinitely many non-parallel vectors that can be used to find the orthogonal unit vector using the cross product.

5. How is finding an orthogonal unit vector related to the concept of normal vectors?

The orthogonal unit vector to a plane is also known as the normal vector, which is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane. Finding an orthogonal unit vector is essentially finding the normal vector and then scaling it to have a magnitude of 1.