How do I find the potential function for this vector field?

This will give you an expression for g(z). In summary, the potential function for the given Vector Field is f = x²y + 5x + g(y,z) where g(y,z) = -4zy + h(z).
Chandasouk
I need to find the potential function of this Vector Field

F= <2xy+5, x2-4z, -4y>

I already checked that a potential function does exist.

I made F1 = 2xy+5, F2= x2-4z, and F3=-4y

I first integrated F1 with respect to x

[itex]
\int (2xy+5)dx
[/itex]

and got x2y+5x+ g(y,z)

so our potential function,f, is currently x2y+5x+ g(y,z)

I then take the partial derivative of f with respect to y

df/dy(x2y+5x+ g(y,z)) = x2+ dg/dy

Now, I set this equal to F2 which yields

x2 -4z = x2+ dg/dy

-4z = dg/dy

Then to obtain g(y,z) I do

[itex]
\int (-4z)dy = -4zy+h(z)
[/itex]

Can anyone show me how to complete the problem from here? I always get close to what the potential function should be but mess up at the end. I need to know this for my final coming up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just keep going. Now you have a new expression for f. Take [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}[/tex] and set it equal to Fz, just like you did in the 2nd step.

What is the definition of potential function?

A potential function is a mathematical function that maps a vector field to a scalar field. In other words, it assigns a single numerical value to each point in a vector field, representing the potential energy at that point.

Why is finding potential function important?

Finding a potential function can help us understand the behavior of a system and make predictions about its future state. It is also useful for calculating work done by a force and finding the path of a particle in a force field.

What techniques are used in finding potential function?

Some common techniques for finding potential function include integrating along a path, using the gradient vector, and solving Laplace's equation.

Can potential function exist for all vector fields?

No, not all vector fields have a potential function. A vector field must satisfy certain conditions, such as being conservative, for a potential function to exist.

How is potential function related to potential energy?

Potential function and potential energy are closely related concepts. The potential function represents the potential energy at each point in a vector field, and the gradient of the potential function gives the direction and magnitude of the force acting on a particle in that field.