Finding Power using Kirchhoff's rule

• Thread starter skelder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the power delivered to R1 in a circuit with multiple resistors and voltage sources. The attempt at a solution involves finding the equivalent resistance of R2 and R3 and using two loops to solve for the current, which ultimately leads to a power of 1250 W.
skelder

Homework Statement

Calculate the power delivered to R1
R1=2.00 Ω, R2=4.00 Ω, R3=4.00 Ω, R4=2.00 Ω, E1=60.0 V and E2=30.0 V.

See current in Attachments:

Homework Equations

P=IV=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Made R2 and R3 equivalent resistors and then used different loops to solve for current. I end up with a current of 0. HELP!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 1.56.49 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-27 at 1.56.49 PM.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your working so we can assist you in finding an answer. Do you know which answers you are supposed to get?

I figured it out thanks anyways.

Find the equivalent resistance of R2 and R3. Then use two loops:

I' is the current flowing through the equivalent resistance

1) E1 - R1I1 + ReqI' = 0

2)E2 - R4I4-I'Req = 0

3) I1+I'=I4

sub eqn 3 in 2 and solve for I'

Now sub this in 1 and solve for I1

Now use I1 and R1 to get power

Looks good!

What did you get for the Power?

I got 1250 W

Me too!

Just wanted to check the numbers despite the theory being sound, since sometimes crazy things happen between the theory and the practice.

Related to Finding Power using Kirchhoff's rule

What is Kirchhoff's rule?

Kirchhoff's rule, also known as Kirchhoff's circuit laws, are two principles that are used to analyze electrical circuits. These laws are named after German physicist Gustav Kirchhoff and they are based on the conservation of energy and charge in a closed circuit.

What is the first rule of Kirchhoff's rule?

The first rule of Kirchhoff's rule, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a junction in a circuit must be equal to zero. This means that the total current flowing into a junction must be equal to the total current flowing out of the junction.

What is the second rule of Kirchhoff's rule?

The second rule of Kirchhoff's rule, also known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of all voltage sources in the same loop. This means that the total voltage drop across all components in a closed loop must be equal to the total voltage supplied by the battery or power source.

How do you use Kirchhoff's rule to find power in a circuit?

To find power using Kirchhoff's rule, you must first apply the first and second rules to solve for the unknown currents and voltages in the circuit. Once these values are known, you can use the formula P = I x V to calculate the power dissipated by each component in the circuit. Then, you can sum up all the power values to find the total power in the circuit.

What are the limitations of using Kirchhoff's rule?

Kirchhoff's rule is based on ideal circuit conditions and may not be accurate in real-world situations where there are factors such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance that affect the behavior of the circuit. Additionally, Kirchhoff's rule assumes a steady-state condition and may not apply to dynamic circuits where there are changes in currents and voltages over time.