Finding Resultant Vector: A=220g@0°, B=100g@110°, C=160g@260° | Homework Help

In summary, the homework statement states that we should find the resultant vector of the three forces. The Attempt at a Solution starts by drawing a free body diagram with all the components, and for Component B and Component C, they make right triangles with the two forces. In summary, the homework statement is correct, but the numerical answer does not match what I get.
faunalove22

Homework Statement

We are given three components: Component A has a magnitude of 220g at 0 degrees, Component B has a magnitude of 100g at 110 degrees, and Component C has a magnitude of 160g at 260 degrees.

We are supposed to find the resultant vector. HELP! :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started off by drawing a free body diagram with all the components. For Component B I made a right triange using the verticle Y access. For Component C I also made a right triangle using the verticle access.

Am I doing this correctly, or should I be using the horizontal access to make the right triangle? Does this even matter? I keep getting different answers. I am very confused. Any help to solve would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
faunalove22 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started off by drawing a free body diagram with all the components. For Component B I made a right triange using the verticle Y access. For Component C I also made a right triangle using the verticle access.

I think you meant to type 'axis'.

but yes, you need to split each vector into horizontal and vertical components (remember to take direction into account, e.g. all vectors point left are negative)

Find the resultant horizontal and vertical vectors. Post your work if you can.

Thats a bit emarrasing, yes axis. That will remind me to proof read :? .

So in my drawing, I have a free body diagram that includes the three forces. I created right triangles with the two forces that both have x and y components.

F1= 220g, 0 degrees
F2= 100g, 110 degrees
F3= 160g, 260 degrees

So, I sum the forces in the x direction:

NetForcex= F1-F2cos110degrees-F3cos80degrees
= 220-100cos110degrees-160cos80degrees === 226

Then I sum the forces in the y direction:

NetForcey= F2sin110degrees-160sin80degrees === -64

Then:
2262-642=46980 ==> Then take the square root which equals 217 g.

To get the angle I take the inverse tangent and divide the net force of y by the net force of x = -16

So my answer is 217g at -16 degrees

I don't think this is the right answer. ?

Physics.jpg

Recheck your calculation for the x-component. Your method is correct, but your numerical answer doesn't match what I get.

EDIT:

Oh, I see your mistake. You subtracted 100 cos (110 degrees). If you use the full angle, you always add, so you should have either +100 cos (110 degrees) or -100 cos(70 degrees) (if you draw the right triangle relative to the x-axis).

Last edited:
Thank you!

1. What is a resultant vector?

A resultant vector is a single vector that represents the combined effect of two or more individual vectors. It is found by adding or subtracting the components of the individual vectors.

2. How is the magnitude of a resultant vector calculated?

The magnitude of a resultant vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of the individual vector's magnitudes.

3. What is the difference between a resultant vector and a net force?

A resultant vector is a mathematical representation of the combined effect of multiple vectors, while a net force is the total force acting on an object. The net force may or may not be represented by a single resultant vector.

4. Can a resultant vector be negative?

Yes, a resultant vector can be negative. This means that the vector is in the opposite direction of the positive direction used for calculations. It is important to include the direction of a vector when representing it, as a negative value can significantly change its meaning.

5. How is the direction of a resultant vector determined?

The direction of a resultant vector can be determined using trigonometric functions such as tangent or sine, based on the angles of the individual vectors. It can also be found using the inverse tangent function of the y and x components of the resultant vector.