Calculating RoE for AC Equivalent Transistor Amplifiers

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the roe (output resistance) for a transistor in an EET program. The speaker clarified that roe is not related to Ib and explained its significance in terms of the transistor's characteristic curves. Another speaker corrected a misunderstanding and provided the formula for calculating roe. The confusion was resolved and the OP thanked the speakers for their help.
Jammin_James
Hey everyone,

In my EET program we're going over AC equivalent transistor amplifiers. We've gone over how to do some of them in class but I can't seem to figure out how to find roe. I have the output characteristic of our 2N2222 transistor and made the DC load line but I'm not sure were to go from there. Am I supposed to take the change in voltage and divide it by the change in Ib (from the Q point)?

Thanks for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think that roe would be the ratio of a small change in collector voltage to the small change in collector accompanying it; Ib is not involved. It should be fairly large, as you can see by looking at the characteristic curves; notice how they are almost horizontal.

roe is fish eggs.

Perhaps you mean [itex] \rho [/itex] or rho.

Integral said:
roe is fish eggs.

Perhaps you mean [itex] \rho [/itex] or rho.

no, i think he means one of the "h-parameters" called [itex]h_{oe}[/itex] (or the reciprocal of it).

where the quiessent point is (the "Q-point") in the IC vs. VCE, the slope of the curve at that point is your [itex]h_{oe}[/itex] parameter. that slope should be pretty small for a decent BJT and is physically a conductance quantity. the reciprocal of that slope is the output resistance of the Norton or Thevenin equivalent of the dependent source that models the transistor.

[tex] r_{oe} = \frac{1}{h_{oe}} [/tex]

that's what i think the OP means.

That's it, thanks rbj.

Sorry about the confusion; I didn't realized the formula function on here.

1. What is RoE and why is it important in AC equivalent transistor amplifiers?

RoE stands for "Resistance of Emitter". It is an important parameter in AC equivalent transistor amplifiers because it represents the internal resistance of the emitter and can greatly affect the overall performance and stability of the amplifier.

2. How do you calculate RoE?

RoE can be calculated by dividing the change in emitter voltage by the change in emitter current. This can be represented by the equation RoE = ΔVe / ΔIe. This calculation must be done using small signal analysis and requires knowledge of the transistor's small signal model.

3. What is the ideal value for RoE in AC equivalent transistor amplifiers?

The ideal value for RoE in AC equivalent transistor amplifiers is zero. This means that the emitter has no internal resistance and will not affect the output of the amplifier. However, in practical applications, a small value of RoE is acceptable as long as it does not significantly impact the amplifier's performance.

4. How does RoE affect the gain of an amplifier?

RoE can significantly affect the gain of an amplifier. A high value of RoE can decrease the gain and make the amplifier less efficient. On the other hand, a low value of RoE can increase the gain and make the amplifier more efficient. Therefore, it is important to carefully calculate and consider RoE when designing an AC equivalent transistor amplifier.

5. Can RoE be adjusted in AC equivalent transistor amplifiers?

Yes, RoE can be adjusted in AC equivalent transistor amplifiers through the use of biasing and feedback circuits. These circuits can help to reduce the impact of RoE and improve the overall performance of the amplifier. However, it is important to carefully design and adjust these circuits to avoid introducing unwanted effects on the amplifier's performance.