1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding roe

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone,

In my EET program we're going over AC equivalent transistor amplifiers. We've gone over how to do some of them in class but I can't seem to figure out how to find roe. I have the output characteristic of our 2N2222 transistor and made the DC load line but I'm not sure were to go from there. Am I supposed to take the change in voltage and divide it by the change in Ib (from the Q point)?

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2
    I would think that roe would be the ratio of a small change in collector voltage to the small change in collector accompanying it; Ib is not involved. It should be fairly large, as you can see by looking at the characteristic curves; notice how they are almost horizontal.

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

roe is fish eggs.

Perhaps you mean [itex] \rho [/itex] or rho.

5. Oct 29, 2008 #4

rbj

no, i think he means one of the "h-parameters" called [itex]h_{oe}[/itex] (or the reciprocal of it).

where the quiessent point is (the "Q-point") in the IC vs. VCE, the slope of the curve at that point is your [itex]h_{oe}[/itex] parameter. that slope should be pretty small for a decent BJT and is physically a conductance quantity. the reciprocal of that slope is the output resistance of the Norton or Thevenin equivalent of the dependent source that models the transistor.

[tex] r_{oe} = \frac{1}{h_{oe}} [/tex]

that's what i think the OP means.

6. Oct 29, 2008 #5
    That's it, thanks rbj.

Sorry about the confusion; I didn't realized the formula function on here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?