How Do You Determine Thevenin Resistance in RLC Circuits for DC and AC?

In summary, the method for finding the R thevenin of an RLC circuit depends on whether it is a DC or AC circuit. In a DC circuit, the inductor is replaced by a short circuit and the capacitor is replaced by an open circuit. In an AC circuit, the frequency is substituted into the reactance equation for each element.
drecklia
I want to know how to find the R thevenin of an RLC circuit. Do I short the inductor and open the capacitor? or do I remove both capacitor and inductors?

Physics news on Phys.org
drecklia said:
I want to know how to find the R thevenin of an RLC circuit. Do I short the inductor and open the capacitor? or do I remove both capacitor and inductors?

There's more than one kind of RLC circuit. You should show a schematic.

It depends on whether you have a DC circuit or an AC circuit.

1) DC

A) Since the reactance of an inductor is given by:
XL = j*(2 * pi * f * L)
and (f = 0) in a DC circuit, so inductor is replaced by a short circuit. ( An element with zero reactance or resistance)

B) For the capacitor:
Xc = 1 / (j*(2 * pi * f * C))
Substituting zero for f, the answer will be infinity (an open circuit).

2) AC

The value of frequency is substituted in each case and a reactance will be obtained for each element. Neither the inductor nor the capacitor will be replaced with short or open.

Last edited:

FAQ: How Do You Determine Thevenin Resistance in RLC Circuits for DC and AC?

1. What is Rth in an RLC circuit?

Rth, or the total resistance, is the equivalent resistance of an RLC circuit when all the individual resistors are combined into one resistor. It represents the overall impedance of the circuit.

2. How is Rth calculated in an RLC circuit?

Rth can be calculated using the formula: Rth = R + (Xl - Xc), where R is the resistance, Xl is the inductive reactance, and Xc is the capacitive reactance.

3. Why is it important to find Rth in an RLC circuit?

Finding Rth allows us to determine the overall impedance of the circuit, which is necessary for understanding the behavior of the circuit and how it will respond to different frequencies.

4. Can Rth be negative in an RLC circuit?

No, Rth cannot be negative. It is always a positive value and represents the total resistance of the circuit.

5. How does Rth affect the resonance of an RLC circuit?

Rth is a crucial factor in determining the resonance of an RLC circuit. A lower Rth will result in a higher Q factor and a more narrow resonance curve, while a higher Rth will result in a lower Q factor and a wider resonance curve.