Finding Scalar Curl and Divergence from a Picture of Vector Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of divergence and curl. For divergence, the group learned how to determine if gas is expanding or contracting by drawing a circle at different locations. The gas is expanding when the y-coordinate is positive and contracting when it is negative. However, the x-dependence of the gas is unclear and it is suggested that it may be symmetrical with a function of f(x,y)=y. For curl, there is confusion about its relation to rotation and how it can have a non-zero value even with straight lines. It is noted that the direction of rotation can differ on the left and right sides, which may result in a scalar curl of -x. However, there is still a struggle for better intuition and understanding
Rippling Hysteresis
Homework Statement
Which of the following is the divergence of the vector field shown (see attachment for visual)?
f(x,y)=
a) x
b) y
c) -x
d) -y
e) x+y
f) x-y
g) y-x
h) -y-x
Relevant Equations
div(f) = d/dx f1 + d/dy f2 + d/dz f3
scalar curl of f = d f2/dx - d f1/dy
For divergence: We learned to draw a circle at different locations and to see if gas is expanding/contracting. Whenever the y-coordinate is positive, the gas seems to be expanding, and it's contracting when negative. I find it hard to tell if the gas is expanding or contracting as I go to the right and left, so I'm not sure what x-dependence it has. It seems like it's symmetrical, so perhaps no x-dependence and f(x,y)=y?

For curl, I'm kind of confused. I thought scalar curl had to do with rotation. But some examples the teacher gives just has straight lines (doesn't seem to be rotation) and there is a non-zero scalar curl. It does seem to be rotating clockwise on the right side and counterclockwise on the left, so does that just mean it's equal to -x?

I'm struggling for better intuition here and not sure if I'm just reaching.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 11.24.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 11.24.59 AM.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 125
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, for curl, we sometimes were told to plug in points, but I seem to be getting an inconsistency. I tried:
20,10: negative (because tends toward clockwise)
10, 20: positive
-10,20: negative
-20,10: positive
-20,-10: positive
-10,-20: negative
10, -20: positive
20, -10: negative

The only one that seemed promising was y-x. I'm thinking it must have x and y dependence since one quadrant can be both positive and negative, depending on the point. But y-x fails (10, -20), because that would be negative but the graph has CCW rotation.

1. What is a scalar field?

A scalar field is a mathematical concept that assigns a scalar value (such as temperature or pressure) to every point in space. This value can vary continuously and can be represented graphically using colors or contour lines.

2. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector (such as velocity or force) to every point in space. This vector can also vary continuously and can be represented graphically using arrows or streamlines.

3. How do you find the scalar curl from a picture of a vector field?

The scalar curl of a vector field can be found by taking the cross product of the gradient of the vector field with the vector field itself. This can be represented mathematically as ∇ × F, where ∇ is the gradient operator and F is the vector field.

4. How do you find the divergence from a picture of a vector field?

The divergence of a vector field can be found by taking the dot product of the gradient of the vector field with the vector field itself. This can be represented mathematically as ∇ · F, where ∇ is the gradient operator and F is the vector field.

5. Why is it important to find the scalar curl and divergence from a picture of a vector field?

Finding the scalar curl and divergence from a picture of a vector field can provide valuable information about the behavior of the vector field, such as the presence of sources or sinks, the direction of flow, and the presence of circulation. This information is useful in many fields, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and meteorology.