Finding speed given force and distance

In summary: Yeah, me too, I'm assuming my professor just meant m/s. I'll have to bring it up to her in class tomorrow.
fattydq
Starting from rest, a constant force of 45 N acts on a 67 kg skier over a distance of 8.1 m. What is the skier's final speed in m/s^2?

Now I'm assuming since force is distance times acceleration, I can take 45 and divide it by 8.1 to find the acceleration. But even still, then I will have distance and acceleration, but no unit of time to take into account. Any suggestions? This is my last post of the day I swear! : P

Physics news on Phys.org
Force is NOT distance times acceleration, it is F=ma.

Have you learned the work energy theorem? Remember that the work is force times distance or W=Fd. According to the work energy theorem this is also equal to the change in kinetic energy.

206PiruBlood said:
Force is NOT distance times acceleration, it is F=ma.

Have you learned the work energy theorem? Remember that the work is force times distance or W=Fd. According to the work energy theorem this is also equal to the change in kinetic energy.

Right, mass times acceleration, not distance times acceleration, my mistake. I still don't understand how, given the figures I'm given, I can use Work equals force times distance to find SPEED?

These are the relationships you need to know to solve this.

W=Fd
[tex]w=\Delta E_k[/tex]
[tex]E_k=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

Once you find the work you have simultaneously found the change in kinetic energy. Assuming the skier starts at rest, then the change in kinetic energy is the total kinetic energy. Solve for velocity.

206PiruBlood said:
These are the relationships you need to know to solve this.

W=Fd
[tex]w=\Delta E_k[/tex]
[tex]E_k=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

Once you find the work you have simultaneously found the change in kinetic energy. Assuming the skier starts at rest, then the change in kinetic energy is the total kinetic energy. Solve for velocity.
So 45 times 8.1=364.5
364.5=\Delta E_k[/tex]
And thus 364.5=1/2 (67) times velocity^2 which turns into
729=67*V^2
729 Divided by 67 =10.88 m/s^2 which is velocity squared, taking the square root of that gives me

3.298575 m/s^2

Is this correct?

yep yep :D

Well the units should just be meters per second, yours represents acceleration!

206PiruBlood said:
yep yep :D

Well the units should just be meters per second, yours represents acceleration!

Strange...on my worksheet it says "What is the skier's final speed in m/s^2?" So I just assumed those were the units...

Well regardless, thanks a lot for the help! : )

nah that is wrong i now u need to now this f=m x a so we don't now a so we do it like this f=m x a /m then we go like this to a=f/m and btw mos je i deqanit

the pro said:
nah that is wrong i now u need to now this f=m x a so we don't now a so we do it like this f=m x a /m then we go like this to a=f/m and btw mos je i deqanit

I'm going to go ahead and ignore your post since half of it isn't even in proper English...no offense...And beside it asks for speed not acceleration...

Well meters per second squared is an acceleration and meters per second is a velocity. I am assuming its just a typo.

206PiruBlood said:
Well meters per second squared is an acceleration and meters per second is a velocity. I am assuming its just a typo.

Yeah, me too, I'm assuming my professor just meant m/s. I'll have to bring it up to her in class tomorrow.

Related to Finding speed given force and distance

1. How do you calculate speed given force and distance?

To calculate speed given force and distance, you can use the formula: speed = force x distance. This formula is based on the principle of work and energy, where the force applied over a certain distance results in the object gaining a certain amount of kinetic energy, which is represented as speed.

2. What units should be used for force and distance in the speed formula?

The units used for force and distance in the speed formula should be consistent with each other. For example, if force is measured in Newtons (N), then distance should be measured in meters (m). This ensures that the resulting speed is in meters per second (m/s), which is the standard unit for speed.

3. Can speed be calculated if only force or distance is known?

No, speed cannot be calculated if only one of the variables (force or distance) is known. The formula for speed requires both force and distance to be present in order to calculate the speed accurately. If only one variable is known, then the speed cannot be determined.

4. How does the direction of force affect the speed calculation?

The direction of force does not affect the speed calculation. The formula for speed only takes into account the magnitude of the force, not its direction. This means that if the force is applied in a different direction, the resulting speed will still be the same as long as the magnitude of the force remains constant.

5. Can the speed calculation be used for all types of motion?

Yes, the speed calculation using force and distance can be used for all types of motion, as long as the object is moving along a straight path. This means that it can be applied to both linear and rotational motion, as long as the distance traveled is known and the force applied is in the same direction as the motion.