1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding speed using conservation of mechanical energy

1. Jul 28, 2005 #1
    In preparation for shooting a ball in a pinball machine, a spring (k = 675 N/m) is compressed by 0.0650 m relative to its unstrained length. The ball (m = 0.0585 kg) is at rest against the spring at point A. When the spring is released, the ball slides (without rolling) to point B, which is 0.300 m higher than point A. How fast is the ball moving at B?

I drew three springs vertically each having a ball on the top. The first spring on my left, is unstrained. The second spring is compressed by 0.065 m. The third spring is the tallest, it is .3 m above the second spring. The second spring having a ball at the top is called point A. The third spring having the ball at the top is called point B. I made my h=0 at point B.
    From the way I understand the problem, speed at A is zero and mgh at B is also zero. This leads me to the following equation:
    (mgh at A) + (1/2)(k)(x^2 at A) = (1/2)(m)(V^2 at B) + (1/2)(k)(x^2 at B)

I don't know if this is right, but I think that h at A is -0.3. Also, x^2 at A is 0^2 - (0.065^2). My x^2 at B is (-(.065^2)) - (.235^2). Plugging everything in, I get my speed at B to be 23.105 m/s. Is this right? Am I using the right approach. Are my values right? Unfortunately, this question is an even question from my textbook, so I do not have an answer for it. If someone is certain, please help me.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2005 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

I don't think the spring expands all .3 meters with the ball. I think the ball leaves the spring when it expands. I think you can neglect the potential energy of the spring after it has expanded.

4. Jul 30, 2005 #3
    thanks, your right, the answer works that way

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?