Discovering the Spring Constant: Best Methods for Compression Springs

In summary, the best way to find the constant of a compression spring is by applying the formula c=Gd^4/8D^3i, where G is the Modulus of Rigidity, d is the wire diameter, D is the mean diameter, and i is the number of working coils. Another possible way is by placing a known force (such as 1kg of weight) on the spring and measuring the displacement, but this may be difficult to balance. However, the suggested formula may be matched against a figure for more accurate results.
jackanese
what would be the best way of finding the constant of a compression spring... the only way i can think of is by placing a known force, which will probably putting like 1kg of weight (9.8N) on the spring and measuring the displacement, the only problem with this is that the spring may bend and it will be difficult to balance the weight on top of it.

or could i do it this way (look at picture)
would this way work well enough?

thanks in advance for your help

Attachments

• spring.JPG
    spring.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 367
Engineering news on Phys.org
never mind i already found a different solution

Dear Jackanese,

For finding the Spring rate u can apply the formula c=Gd^4/8D^3i, where G is the Modulus of Rigidity, d is the wire dia, D is the mean dia, i is the no. of working coils.

Rajeesh

ok thanks for that i might use that formula and match it against the figure i found..

What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant is calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

What units is the spring constant measured in?

The spring constant is typically measured in units of newtons per meter (N/m) in the SI system or pounds per inch (lb/in) in the imperial system.

How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, meaning it will require more force to stretch or compress the spring. Similarly, a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible spring that will require less force to stretch or compress.

What factors can affect the spring constant?

The spring constant can be affected by the material and shape of the spring, as well as the temperature and any external forces acting on the spring. It may also vary depending on the amount of stretching or compression the spring has undergone.