Finding sylow subgroups

• Thread starter shakeydakey
  • Start date
In summary, the Sylow subgroups of A5 are: 1. One 2-subgroup of order 4: {(ab)(cd), (ac)(bd), (ad)(bc), identity}. 2. One 3-subgroup of order 3: {(abc), (acb), identity}. 3. Three 5-subgroups of order 5: {(abcde), identity}, and two other 5-subgroups that are conjugate to this one. I hope this helps you in your understanding of the Sylow subgroups of A5. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Happy problem solving!
shakeydakey

Homework Statement

Write down all Sylow subgroups of A5 (alternating group). I have them for order 3 and order 5 subgroups, but am not sure about order 4 subgroups.

Homework Equations

Sylow Theorems etc

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the # of 4-subgroups is congruent to 1mod2 (though that's not helpful), and a factor of 60/4=15, from Sylow Thm 3. So it's 1,3,5, or 15. I've found 5 of the form {(ab)(cd), (ac)(bd),(ad)(bc),identity}. If there are more I can't find them, and if that's it how do I show that?

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for your post. I am happy to assist you in finding the Sylow subgroups of A5. First, let's review the Sylow theorems that will be useful in this problem.

1. Sylow's First Theorem: For any prime number p, if p^k is the highest power of p that divides the order of a finite group G, then G contains a subgroup of order p^k.
2. Sylow's Second Theorem: If p^k is the highest power of p that divides the order of a finite group G, then any two subgroups of G of order p^k are conjugate.
3. Sylow's Third Theorem: If p^k is the highest power of p that divides the order of a finite group G, then the number of subgroups of G of order p^k is congruent to 1 mod p.

Now, let's apply these theorems to A5. The order of A5 is 60, which can be factored as 2^2 * 3 * 5. Using Sylow's Third Theorem, we can determine the number of Sylow 2-subgroups, 3-subgroups, and 5-subgroups.

For 2-subgroups: The number of 2-subgroups is congruent to 1 mod 2 and a factor of 15. Therefore, the only possibility is 1 2-subgroup of order 4. We can easily find this subgroup as {(ab)(cd), (ac)(bd), (ad)(bc), identity}.

For 3-subgroups: The number of 3-subgroups is congruent to 1 mod 3 and a factor of 20. Therefore, there are either 1 or 5 3-subgroups. We can find one 3-subgroup as {(abc), (acb), identity}. To find the other 3-subgroups, we can use Sylow's Second Theorem to show that they are all conjugate.

For 5-subgroups: The number of 5-subgroups is congruent to 1 mod 5 and a factor of 12. Therefore, there are either 1 or 3 5-subgroups. We can find one 5-subgroup as {(abcde), identity}. Again, we can use Sylow's Second The

What is a Sylow subgroup?

A Sylow subgroup is a subgroup of a finite group whose order is a power of a prime number. They are used in group theory to understand the structure of a group, and can help determine the number of subgroups a group has.

How do you find Sylow subgroups?

There are a few different methods for finding Sylow subgroups, but one common approach is to use Sylow's theorems. These theorems provide conditions for the existence of Sylow subgroups and allow for their construction.

Why are Sylow subgroups important?

Sylow subgroups are important because they can help us understand the structure of a group. By studying the Sylow subgroups of a group, we can learn about its normal subgroups, its order, and other important characteristics.

Can a group have more than one Sylow subgroup?

Yes, a group can have multiple Sylow subgroups. In fact, if a group has more than one Sylow subgroup, they are all conjugate to each other, meaning they are essentially the same subgroup in different locations within the group.

How do Sylow subgroups relate to other subgroups in a group?

Sylow subgroups are a type of subgroup, so they are related to other subgroups in a similar way. However, because they have special properties (such as having an order that is a power of a prime number), they can provide unique insights into the structure of a group that other subgroups may not be able to.