Finding Tension in Frictionless Incline System

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario involving a 1kg box on a 30 degree frictionless incline connected to a 3kg box on a horizontal frictionless surface via a pulley. The question is asked about the tension in the connecting cord given a magnitude of 2.3N for the sum of all forces. Various formulas and equations are proposed to solve for the tension, taking into account the forces acting on each box. Ultimately, it is determined that the tension can be found by adding the sum of forces on each box and solving for the tension using trigonometry. A diagram is provided for reference.
suspenc3
a 1kg box on a 30degree frictionless incline is connected to a 3kg box on a horizontal frictionless surface. The pulley is frictionless and massless.
A)if the magnitude of F is 2.3N what is the tension in the connecting cord?

I found all of my formulas

M1 "X" direction-----T-M1g = M1a EQ 1
"Y" direction-----N-M1g = 0 EQ 2

M2 "X" direction-----(T-M2cos30) = M2a EQ 3
"Y"--------------(N-M2gcos60) = 0 EQ 4

anyways..is it as simple as substituting the F value given into eq 1?
i.e- T-M1g = F

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

I'm having a little trouble visualizing the scenario in my mind. Is there a diagram available?

i could draw one..i don't know how to attach it though

it won't let me attach it.it says its too big

just picture a flat line with m1 on it..and another line attached to the right of line1 drawn at a -30 degree angle with respect to the x axis(line1).mass 2 lies on the inclined plane.
There is a pulley at the intersection point of the two lines

Hi!
Thanks for the explanation. In the original post, you said that "the magnitude of F is 2.3N". Which force is F?

where is this "F" (=2.3N) connected?

F is the sum of all forces...F=ma
in the diagram F above M1 and is pointed towards the pulley,

im trying to find T when F=2.3N..Sorry for not being able to explain it clearly..i need a diagram

Well, the tension in the connecting cord,
if there is NO other (external) Force, is
(4.9 N)(3kg/4kg) , which is NOT 2.3 N .

So either this set-up is not on Earth's surface
or there's an additional Force (horizontal?)
applied to the (1kg) mass.

If there's an extra Force ("by hand") here,
just add it into the sum of forces!

the formula is T = F + M1g..isnt it
by my calcs..that is how I would do it..but I am not sure if you can just substitute the force into the original equation..or if there is more work to be done

Last edited:
No, if the block m1 is on the horizontal surface, then
x: T ( + F_external) = m1 a
y: N - m1 g = 0 .

therefore I can't substitute F (F=ma) for m1 a?

would i have to do this:
isolate a in EQ 3:
(T-M2cos30)/M2 = a

sub into 1

(T-F = M1((T-M2cos30)/M2)

?
but that might make solving for T difficult

Make sure "x" is parallel the surface all along it,
and "y" perp. to surface on both sides of pulley.

the equations adding to "m a" should have NO cos30!

Usually, you would add Eq1 to Eq3, so T cancels:
easily solve for a = (4.9N + 2.3N)/4kg ,
then re-do eq.1 by itself to isolate T .
( T + 2.3N = 3kg a )

Last edited:
but y isn't perpendicular to x its at a 30 degree incline..thats why I used trig

Hers a link to a picture

http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/9505/ramp4sl.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding Tension in Frictionless Incline System

1. What is a frictionless incline system?

A frictionless incline system is a physical setup that consists of an inclined plane with no friction present. This means that there is no resistance to motion caused by the surface of the plane, allowing an object to slide down the incline without being slowed down by friction.

2. Why is it important to find tension in a frictionless incline system?

Finding tension in a frictionless incline system is important because it can help determine the forces acting on the object on the incline, as well as the acceleration of the object. This information can be used to understand the motion of the object and make predictions about its behavior.

3. How do you find tension in a frictionless incline system?

To find tension in a frictionless incline system, you can use the equation T = mgsinθ, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline. This equation is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the tension in a frictionless incline system?

The tension in a frictionless incline system can be affected by the mass of the object, the angle of the incline, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance or applied forces can also impact the tension in the system.

5. How does tension in a frictionless incline system relate to real-world applications?

Understanding tension in a frictionless incline system has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering and physics. For example, it can be used to design and optimize roller coasters, determine the force needed to move objects on inclined planes, and analyze the motion of objects on ramps or hills. It also plays a role in calculating the work and energy involved in moving objects against gravity.