Finding tension of the string while ball is at top of its path

In summary, the problem involves a ball on a string revolving in a vertical circle at a constant speed. The forces acting on the ball at the top of its path include gravity and centripetal acceleration, which can be replaced by a fictitious centrifugal force. To find the tension in the string, the sum of these forces should be considered.
chenying

Homework Statement

A ball on the end of a string is cleverly revolved at a uniform rate in a vertical circle of radius 85.0 cm. If the speed of the ball is 3.25 m/s and its mass is 0.335 kg, calculate the tension in the string when the ball is at the

a) top of its path

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fnet force = ma

Fcentripetal = v2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, I have not made an attempt at this problem because my concept of this situation is a little unsure. I don't want any numbers or any calculations, I just want someone to explain to me this problem in just formulas. No numbers at all pleaseeeee

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should try it yourself, it's not so hard, at least try. Think of what forces that is exerted upon the ball at the top of the path and in what direction they work.

So let me share what I believe it is:

Because the ball is at the top of its path, the forces acting on it include gravity and centripetal acceleration.

If I want to find the tension in the string, then it would be sum of gravity and centripetal acceleration?

You're correct about the forces, except with how they interact. When you use a rotating frame of reference for analysis, the centripetal force is replaced by a sort of fictious centrifugal force directed away from the centre.
You can also see it like this: For example: When you travel through a curve in a car, you feel like you are "pushed" outwards toward the edge of the curve. This force which "pushes" you out is fictious and doesn't exist in the real sense, but it still feels like so.

So instead of a centripetal force directed toward the centre at the top, replace it with an equally large opposite facing force

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string is the pulling force exerted by the string on an object or on a point within the string itself. It is a result of the string being stretched or pulled taut.

2. Why is it important to find the tension of a string while a ball is at the top of its path?

The tension of a string at the top of the ball's path is important because it is at this point that the string is supporting the entire weight of the ball. This tension is crucial in determining the stability and trajectory of the ball's motion.

3. How is the tension of a string calculated?

The tension of a string can be calculated using the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. This equation takes into account the weight of the object and any additional acceleration forces acting on it.

4. What factors can affect the tension of a string?

The tension of a string can be affected by a number of factors, including the weight of the object attached to the string, the angle at which the string is pulled, and any external forces acting on the object. Additionally, the material and thickness of the string itself can also impact its tension.

5. How does the tension of a string change as the ball moves along its path?

The tension of a string can change as the ball moves along its path depending on the forces acting on the ball. If the ball is accelerating, the tension will increase to support the additional force. If the ball is decelerating, the tension will decrease. At the top of the ball's path, the tension will be at its maximum as the string is supporting the full weight of the ball.