Calculating Bound Surface Charge Density at Dielectric Discontinuity

In summary, the task at hand is to calculate the surface bond charge density for two dielectrics on the borderline where there is no free charge. Using the given values of ##e_{r1}##, ##e_{r2}##, ##α_1## and ##D_1##, we can determine that ##D_{1n}=D_{2n}## and ##E_{1t}=E_{2t}##. By dividing these equations, we can find that ##\tan α_2=\frac{e_{r1}}{e_{r2}} \tan α_1##. However, the bond charge density is not easily calculated using this information and requires the use of Gauss's
doktorwho

Homework Statement

IMG_2504.JPG

##e_{r1}=2##
##e_{r2}=10##
##α_1=\pi /4##
##D_1=100 nC/m^2##
##ρ_s=0##
On the borderline of two dielectrics there is no free charge. Calculate the surface bond charge density of both dielectrics.
##ρ_{bs1}=?##
##ρ_{bd2}=?##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
So with the information i was given i am able to calculate some things.
Since there is no free charge ##D_{1n}=D_{2n}## so ##D_1\cos α_1=D_2 \cos α_2##
And since ##E_{1t}=E_{2t}##, ##\frac{D_1 \sin α_1}{e_{r1}}=\frac{D_2 \sin α_2}{e_{r2}}##
Dividing these equations i get ##\tan α_2=\frac{e_{r1}}{e_{r2}} \tan α_1## and i get some crazy number.
The bond charge density is ##D=e_0E+P##, ##P_1=D_1-e_0E_1##, ##P=e_0(e_r-1)E_1##
So how do i get this to work?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you express Gauss's law in terms of E instead of D you can determine that there exist different bound surface charge densities at the dielectric discontinuity.

1. What is charge density?

Charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume of a material.

2. How is charge density calculated?

Charge density can be calculated by dividing the total electric charge by the volume of the material.

3. What is the unit of charge density?

The unit of charge density is coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3).

4. How does charge density relate to electric field?

Charge density and electric field are directly proportional to each other. An increase in charge density results in a stronger electric field and vice versa.

5. Can charge density vary within a material?

Yes, charge density can vary within a material depending on factors such as the material's composition and external influences such as temperature and pressure.