Finding the Coefficient of Restitution: Help with Lab Calculations

• Thread starter Revengeance
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
In summary, the researcher is trying to determine the coefficient of restitution for a tennis ball and rebound off a floor. The researcher recorded the time it took for the ball to bounce four times, and determined that the coefficient of restitution is e^2.
Revengeance

Homework Statement

So we are doing a lab that is basically finding the coefficeint of restituion, what we did in this lab is drop a tennis ball from an initial height (recorded that height) and timed it until it stopped bouncing. So we have the time it stopped bouncing at and the height, and now we have to find the coefficeint of restution.

So I am guessing the two bodies in this situation is the ball, and the floor?

Homework Equations

e = (v2final - v1final / v2initial - vinitial)

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know that v2f - v1f is equal to the velocity of seperation, which is the veloicty of the ball and second body after the collision, and v2i - v1i is the velocity of the ball and second body before the collision. Before i move further i would like to have help figuring out the second body in this collision.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rebound speed of the Earth can be assumed zero.

You have recorded the time to execute a number of bounces?

Since the speed of the Earth is zero e = -V1 / V0
From this you can show that e = (h1 / h0)^1/2 or h1 = e^2 h0
and h2 = e^2 h1 = e^4 h0 and hn = e^2n h0
Now, can you use this to find and expression for tn ?

J Hann said:
Now, can you use this to find and expression for tn ?
What is tn and why do you need to determine it? You still haven't explained exactly what data you recorded; I think it would be difficult to sense precisely the moment that a ball takes its final "bounce", and it's not clear how you would use that moment.

NascentOxygen said:
What is tn and why do you need to determine it? You still haven't explained exactly what data you recorded; I think it would be difficult to sense precisely the moment that a ball takes its final "bounce", and it's not clear how you would use that moment.
I suspect that the time between bounces follows a sequence that has a finite sum, and that the sum depends upon the coefficient of restitution (among other things). So if you determine a time that the ball finishes bouncing (at least perceptibly to the observer), then you can determine a value for the coefficient.

gneill said:
I suspect that the time between bounces follows a sequence that has a finite sum, and that the sum depends upon the coefficient of restitution (among other things). So if you determine a time that the ball finishes bouncing (at least perceptibly to the observer), then you can determine a value for the coefficient.
I was inviting OP to post the maths he has on this; most likely it has been discussed in class or homework.

NascentOxygen said:
I was inviting OP to post the maths he has on this; most likely it has been discussed in class or homework.
Ah. Sorry about that.

1. What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision between two objects. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of the objects after the collision to the relative velocity before the collision.

2. How is the coefficient of restitution calculated?

The coefficient of restitution can be calculated by dividing the final relative velocity of the objects by the initial relative velocity. It can also be calculated by taking the square root of the ratio of the rebound height to the drop height.

3. What does a high coefficient of restitution indicate?

A high coefficient of restitution indicates that the collision between two objects is highly elastic, meaning that the objects bounce off each other with very little energy loss. This is often seen in sports such as tennis or basketball, where the ball bounces back to a high height after being hit.

4. Can the coefficient of restitution be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of restitution can be greater than 1. This occurs when the objects involved in the collision gain energy after colliding, resulting in a higher final relative velocity than the initial relative velocity. This is often seen in very elastic materials, such as rubber or steel.

5. What factors affect the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution can be affected by several factors, including the materials of the objects involved, the angle of impact, and the speed and direction of the objects' motion. It can also be affected by external factors such as air resistance and surface conditions.