Finding the constants in an Electric Field Equation

In summary, the problem calls for finding the relationship between the constants A and B in the following equation of an instantaneous electric field. The details of the medium in which the field exists are that it is homogenous, isotropic, linear, and is source-free.
CanIExplore

Homework Statement

The problem calls for finding the relationship between the constants A and B in the following equation of an instantaneous electric field:

E=[A(x+y)[itex]\widehat{a}_{x}[/itex]+B(x-y)[itex]\widehat{a}_{y}[/itex]]cos(wt)

The details of the medium in which the field exists are that it is homogenous, isotropic, linear, and is source-free.

20130927_151144_zps7427c05e.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to go about solving this problem. Initially I was thinking I was just playing around with the vector equation by seeing what it looks like when I plug in different values of x and y and when t=0 or 1. Here is what that looked like:

20130927_154159_zps9ef8919b.jpg

Can someone please help point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied the properties of the "divergence" of the electric field?

The only question is, what an "instantaneous" electric field might be. I think it's just an electric field, right?

Then just use the Maxwell and constitutive equations for the given situation to constrain the functions [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] as much as you can.

TSny said:
Have you studied the properties of the "divergence" of the electric field?

And how about the curl, since the field is apparently time-invariant.

Using Maxwell's equation

[itex]\nabla \cdot E[/itex]=[itex]\frac{q_{ev}}{ε_{0}}[/itex]

where [itex]q_{ev}[/itex] is the electric charge density and noting that [itex]q_{ev}[/itex]=0 for a source free medium, I get:

[itex]\nabla \cdot E[/itex]={[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial_{x}}[/itex][itex]\widehat{a}_{x}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][[itex]\widehat{a}_{x}[/itex]A(x+y)]+[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial_{y}}[/itex][itex]\widehat{a}_{y}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][[itex]\widehat{a}_{y}[/itex]B(x-y)]}cos(ωt)=0

={[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial_{x}}[/itex]Ax+[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial_{x}}[/itex]Ay+[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial_{y}}[/itex]Bx-[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial_{y}}[/itex]By}cos(ωt)=0

(A-B)cos(ωt)=0

Which is true when ωt=[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], or when A=B.

I am not really sure how to interpret this result.

Last edited:
Sorry I had some mistakes in there, I was making a few changes!

You might want to start with what you know about ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{D}## and then, as vanhees71 suggested, use the consitutive relations to relate ##\vec{D}## to ##\vec{E}##.

Using all four of the assumptions: (1) source free (2) homogeneous (3) isotropic (4) linear medium, you can deduce what ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}## must equal.

1. What are the constants in an Electric Field Equation?

The constants in an Electric Field Equation are the permittivity of free space (ε0) and the charge of a proton (e). These constants are used to calculate the strength of an electric field at a given point.

2. How do you find the permittivity of free space in an Electric Field Equation?

The permittivity of free space, ε0, can be found by using the relationship ε0 = 1/μ0c2, where μ0 is the permeability of free space and c is the speed of light. The value of ε0 is approximately 8.85 x 10-12 F/m.

3. How is the charge of a proton related to the Electric Field Equation?

The charge of a proton, e, is a fundamental constant that is used in the Electric Field Equation. It represents the magnitude of the charge of a single proton and is approximately 1.6 x 10-19 C.

4. Can the Electric Field Equation be used in all situations?

The Electric Field Equation can be used in most situations where there is a static electric field. However, it may not accurately describe the behavior of electric fields in certain scenarios, such as those involving moving charges or changing magnetic fields.

5. How does the Electric Field Equation relate to Coulomb's Law?

The Electric Field Equation is a generalization of Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two point charges. The Electric Field Equation takes into account the presence of multiple charges and the distance from the charges, while Coulomb's Law only considers the force between two specific charges.