Finding the Critical Angle for Shelf Gliding: A Statics Problem

In summary, the student is trying to find the x and y directed forces for when the shelf glides and tips.
NathalieSweden

Homework Statement

Excuse my english, it is not my first language.
A bookcase has the weight 1500N and is standing at a horizontal floor. The friction force between the floor and the shelf is 600N.
The shelf's height is 1,8mand it is 2m wide. The shelf stands on four feet each 0,01m from the edge. The masscentre is located at the middle of the shelf. A person pulls at the top of one of the shelf's edges. The force creates an angle v with the shelf's side.

I have to form an expression for when the shelf starts gliding, as a function of the angle v.
I will add a file with a pictur that explains the situation.
a2.png

Homework Equations

torque, T=Fxr
Friction, Ff=uN

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the force needed to tip the shelf at v=90degrees: 13500N. Also the force needed to make the shelf start gliding when v=0(paralell)=600N. The force needed to tip the shelf at v=0 is 750N
I have no idea how to form the function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops I posted the image twice...

Hello Sweden, welcome to PF :)

My swedish is good enough to see a ##\mu_s=0.4##.
The friction force is ##F_f = \mu_s * F_N##.
##F_N## is the net normal force that compensates mg and the vertical component of the pulling force F
So ##F_f = 600 ## N is only when pulling force F is horizontal (##\theta = {\pi\over 4}## ), which is given in part a).

Were does the 13500 N come from ? Probably part b) 1.9 * 1500 = 0.1 * F
[edit] yes of course, 0.9

ANd you want some function of ##\theta## in part c). That means you have to decompose F in horizontal and vertical components. What kind of function is wanted, my limited swedish doesn't reveal me, so perhaps you want to describe it a bit more extensively ...

Last edited:
Yes it comes from b). But it's: 0,1F*0,9*1500. This is correct, the teacher has passed me on a) and b).
Yes that is true. Determine the x and y directed forces for when the shelf glides and tips. Then I am supposed to find the minimum angle where the shelf starts gliding instead of tipping. Do you understand what I mean?

"Determine the x and y directed forces for when the shelf glides and tips"

I can't make sense out of that. Can you ? If so, show some steps and indicate where you run into problems...

Related to Finding the Critical Angle for Shelf Gliding: A Statics Problem

What is a problem in mechanics?

A problem in mechanics refers to a situation or scenario that involves the application of principles and laws of physics to analyze and solve a specific mechanical issue or phenomenon.

What is mechanics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, forces, and energy in relation to the physical properties of objects and their interactions with each other.

What is statics?

Statics is a subfield of mechanics that focuses on the study of forces and their effects on objects that are at rest or in a state of constant motion.

What are some common types of problems in statics?

Some common types of problems in statics include calculating forces and moments, analyzing equilibrium conditions, and determining the stability of structures.

How is statics important in everyday life?

Statics is important in everyday life as it helps us understand the forces and structures that govern our physical world, from the stability of buildings and bridges to the functioning of machines and vehicles. It also allows us to design and build structures and machines that are safe and efficient.