Finding the derivative of a function.

In summary, the problem asks for the solution to be found for y = 4\sqrt[8]{x^{2}}. The differentiator gives the solution as f'(x) = 4(x^2/8). The slope of the graph is 4, so the y-intercept is (4/8).
Lion214
Differentiate:
y = 4 8√x^2Attempt to solve the problem.

f ' (x) = 4(x^2/8)

f ' (x) = 4 ( (2/8) x ^-6/8)

f ' (x) = 4 ( (2/8) χ 1/x ^ 6/8)

f ' (x) = 4 ( 2/ x^6)

f ' (x) = 8/x ^ 6

I have no idea if this is the right answer, due to the fact that this is an online multiple choice question for homework, and I would have to pick none of the above. Problem is, I have been "none of the above" for every question so far, and I'm thinking I'm doing fundamentally wrong, even though I don't see it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way you wrote this is a little confusing. Is the problem written:

[itex] y = 4 \sqrt[8]{x^{2}} [/itex]

?

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

Ok, no worries. Then we have:

[itex] f(x) = 4 x^{\frac{2}{8}} = 4 x^{\frac{1}{4}} [/itex]

[itex] f'(x) = \frac{1}{4} 4 x^{\frac{-3}{4}} [/itex]

[itex] f'(x) = \frac{1}{x^{\frac{3}{4}}} [/itex]

It doesn't have to be written this exact way though, so it's up to you to figure out if one of the options is correct. Also, the mistake you made was that you dropped the 8 in the denominator between the 3rd and 4th steps.

f ' (x) = 4 ( 2/ x^6)

To clarify where you mistake was, remember that the 2nd 8 is in the exponent, so it's not part of the fractions you were multiplying. The second step here should have been:

[itex] f'(x) = 4(\frac{2}{8 x^{\frac{6}{8}}}) [/itex]

Then you could reduce further and have the correct answer.

bossman27 said:

f ' (x) = 4 ( 2/ x^6)

To clarify where you mistake was, remember that the 2nd 8 is in the exponent, so it's not part of the fractions you were multiplying. The second step here should have been:

[itex] f'(x) = 4(\frac{2}{8 x^{\frac{6}{8}}}) [/itex]

Then you could reduce further and have the correct answer.

I see, thank you very much! That makes much more sense now.

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function at a specific point is the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the limit definition of the derivative, which involves taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0. Alternatively, you can use differentiation rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

3. What is the difference between the derivative and the integral of a function?

The derivative of a function measures the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while the integral of a function measures the total accumulation of the function over a given interval.

4. Why is the derivative important?

The derivative is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of a function. It can be used to find the maximum and minimum points, determine the concavity of a curve, and solve optimization problems.

5. Can a function have a derivative at every point?

No, a function may not have a derivative at every point. A function is differentiable at a point if the derivative exists at that point. There are some functions that are not continuous or have sharp corners, which means they are not differentiable at those points.