Finding the Derivative of Arctan(x) for a Camera Tracking Problem

• Thread starter aurdav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of arctan(x/132) and using it to solve a problem involving a camera mounted 132ft up a pole tracking a car traveling at 264ft/sec. The person asking for help is not familiar with the derivative of arctan or the chain rule, and is looking for assistance in solving the problem.
aurdav
<< edited by berkeman after thread merge >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. if a=arctan(x/132), what is da/dx

So you do not know off hand, how about
using implict differentiation?
lets just do a=arctan(x*t) we will let t=1/132 later
a=arctan(x*t)
so
tan(a)=x*t
{[sec(a)]^2}[da/dx]=t
solve for [da/dx]
recall [sec(a)]^2=1+[tan(a)]^2

Please! If you have registered for this forum then you are expected to show some effort of your own. This looks to me like a staightforward, elementary, problem. I don't know what hints to give you because you haven't said where it is you are stuck! You are making it look like you accidently wandered into the wrong classroom and picked up the wrong homework!

Do you know the derivative of arctan(x) with respect to x or can you look it up in your textbook?

Do you know the derivative of x/132?

Do you know the chain rule?

HallsofIvy said:
Please! If you have registered for this forum then you are expected to show some effort of your own. This looks to me like a staightforward, elementary, problem. I don't know what hints to give you because you haven't said where it is you are stuck! You are making it look like you accidently wandered into the wrong classroom and picked up the wrong homework! LOL

Do you know the derivative of arctan(x) with respect to x or can you look it up in your textbook? NO

Do you know the derivative of x/132? NO

Do you know the chain rule? not well

You are not far off. I am looking for a formula for the derivative of arctan(a) where arctan(a)=1x/132

It is not my homework but if I provided enough detail I would appreciate the info

The problem is. A camera mount 132ft up a pole is tracking a car traveling toward the pole at 264ft/sec. How fast is the angle of the camera change when the car is directly below? a half second later? So angle (a) , y=132ft and dx/dt=264ft/sec . da/dt=da/dx*dx/dt. I don't know how to find da/dx. tan(a)=x/132 and a=arctan(x/132). that is all I know

Related to Finding the Derivative of Arctan(x) for a Camera Tracking Problem

1. What is the ArcTan derivative?

The ArcTan derivative is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of the ArcTan function. It is represented by the symbol d/dx (arctan x) or arctan'(x).

2. How is the ArcTan derivative calculated?

The ArcTan derivative is calculated using the formula 1/(1+x^2). This means that the derivative of the ArcTan function is equal to 1 divided by the square of the argument of the ArcTan function plus 1.

3. What is the significance of the ArcTan derivative?

The ArcTan derivative has many important applications in mathematics and physics. It is commonly used in calculating the slopes of curves and in solving differential equations. It is also used in trigonometry and in the study of complex numbers.

4. Can the ArcTan derivative be negative?

Yes, the ArcTan derivative can be negative. It depends on the value of the argument x. If x is positive, the derivative is positive. If x is negative, the derivative is negative. If x equals zero, the derivative is undefined.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the ArcTan derivative?

Yes, the ArcTan derivative has various real-life applications. For example, it is used in engineering to calculate the slopes of curves in order to design bridges and roads. It is also used in physics to study the motion of objects and in economics to analyze the growth of markets.