Finding the electric field at 3 points due to 2 identical charges.

In summary, the electric field strength at point A is the smallest, followed by point B with a magnitude of 0 due to the opposite directions of the electric field from the two charges, and then point C with the greatest magnitude. The calculation involves using the formula E= (1/4πε) (q/r^2) and taking into account the direction of the electric field from each charge. The vectors pointing to the right are considered positive while those pointing to the left are negative.
get_physical
3 points (a,b and c) and two identical positive charges. How do you find MAGNITUDE of the electric field at the 3 points? I just need to rank them, don't need numbers.

all points are on the x-axis:
A (x=0); charge +Q(x=1); B (x=3); c(x=4); charge+Q(x=5)

(Picture attached in the 3rd post)

Homework Equations

E= (1/4pie) (q/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just focused on the r^2 since everything in the formula is the same.
for point A: 1^2+ 5^2 = 26
Point B: 2^2+2^2 = 8
Point C: 1^2 + 3+2 = 10

so would B then have the greatest strength while A has the least?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
get_physical said:
3 points (a,b and c) and two identical positive charges. How do you find MAGNITUDE of the electric field at the 3 points? I just need to rank them, don't need numbers.

all points are on the x-axis:

A (x=0); charge +Q(x=1); B (x=3); c(x=4); charge+Q(x=5)

Homework Equations

E= (1/4pie) (q/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just focused on the r^2 since everything in the formula is the same.
for point A: 1^2+ 5^2 = 26
Point B: 2^2+2^2 = 8
Point C: 1^2 + 3+2 = 10

so would B then have the greatest strength while A has the least?
r2 is in the denominator. You need to add or subtract 1/12 and 1/52, 1/22 and 1/22, etc.

Also you haven't taken into account the direction of the E field from each charge.

Picture attached

Attachments

• phys.jpg
    phys.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 403
Yes, r^2 is the denominator, that's why the smallest r^2 will have the strongest field. Can you please explain what you mean I need to add or subtract?

In that case, would there be no electric field strength at B? since the directions are opposite, so they cancel each other out?

get_physical said:
In that case, would there be no electric field strength at B? since the directions are opposite, so they cancel each other out?
Yes.

As for using 1/r, not r2:
1/1+1/52 = 25/25 + 1/25 = 26/25

1/22 + 1/22 = 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2   (Yes, I know these should be subtracted, but this is just to illustrate the point.)​

SammyS said:
Yes.

As for using 1/r, not r2:
1/1+1/52 = 25/25 + 1/25 = 26/25

1/22 + 1/22 = 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2   (Yes, I know these should be subtracted, but this is just to illustrate the point.)​

In this case, after doing the calculations, would a have the smallest electric field strength since it is -26/25, and then after that would be B with 0 and finally, C?

Last edited:
would you just assume the left is negative while if arrows pointing to the right is positive?
Thanks

get_physical said:
In this case, after doing the calculations, would a have the smallest electric field strength since it is -26/25, and then after that would be B with 0 and finally, C?
What do you get for electric field at point C ?

Look at the problem statement. It asks about the "MAGNITUDE of the electric field". (That capitalization was in your original post.)

As with number lines, it's fairly standard to consider a vector pointing to the right to be positive, and left is negative.

Oh ! thank you so much I finally got it. thank you for your patience. appreciated!

1. How do I calculate the electric field at a point due to two identical charges?

The electric field at a point due to two identical charges can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance between the point and the charges.

2. What is the direction of the electric field at a point between two identical charges?

The direction of the electric field at a point between two identical charges is always towards the opposite charges. This means that if the charges are positive, the electric field will be directed towards the negative charge, and vice versa.

3. Is the electric field stronger at a point closer to the charges?

Yes, the electric field is stronger at a point closer to the charges. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point and the charges. As the distance decreases, the electric field strength increases.

4. How do the electric fields from two identical charges combine at a point?

The electric fields from two identical charges combine by vector addition. This means that the electric field at a point is the sum of the individual electric fields at that point. The direction of the combined electric field can be determined using the principle of superposition.

5. Can the electric field at a point be negative?

Yes, the electric field at a point can be negative. This occurs when the charges are of the same sign and the electric field is directed away from the charges. In this case, the negative sign indicates the direction of the electric field, not its magnitude.