Finding the frequency of the combined motion

In summary, the person looking for help found that the frequency of the combined motion of the following sin(12πt)+cos(12πt-π/4) and sin(13πt-3π/4) were 1/6 and 2/13 respectively. They then found the periods be 1/6 for the sin function and 2/13 for the cosine function and found that the equation for the combined frequency was [cos(13πt)cos(π/4)-sin(13πt)sin(π/4)]. They were then able to use the trig identity [cos(13πt)cos(π/4)-sin(13πt)sin(π/4
RockenNS42

Homework Statement

Finding the frequency of the combined motion of the following

sin(12πt)+cos(12πt-π/4)

Homework Equations

T=n2T2=T1n1

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I found the periods be 1/6 for the sin function and 2/13 for the cosine
Any hints on what to do next? I really have no clue

the answer in 6.25/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about fundamental trig identities.

which fundamental ones? like this one sin(θ)^2 + cos(θ)^2 = 1?
Im not quite sure I follow you on how this could help

Im getting my T from T=n2T2=T1n1
to be 2s so the f is .5/s, which is wrong

also the question is actually
sin(12πt)+cos(13πt-π/4)

Does it have to do withe the π/4 in the cos argument?

I was thinking of [tex] \sin(x)=\cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-x) [tex], so you can convert the cosine or sine term this way, so that you have two sine or two cosine functions. Then look to use the equation you mention. I think this is should give the right result

If I do that I get
sin(12πt)+sin(13πt-3π/4)

But this doesn't change the angular velocity values, so it doesn't change the the period or frequency... or am I totally missing something here?

So now I'd say try this identity, [ itex ] \cos(\phi-\th)=\cos(\phi)\cos(\th)-\sin(\phi)sin(\th) [ /itex ]. Which has its sin counterpart, [ itex ] \sin(\phi-\th)=\sin(\phi)\cos(\th)+\cos(\phi)sin(\th) [ /itex ]. I think now you'll be able to write this as one sine or cosine function with a combined frequency

ok so

so I changed it too
cos(π/2-12πt)+cos(13πt-π/4)
and used that identity to get

[cos(13πt)cos(π/4)-sin(13πt)sin(π/4)] -[cos(π/2)cos(12πt)-sin(π/2)sin(12πt)]
which simplifies to
√2/2[cos(13πt)-sin(13πt)]-[cos(12πt)]
i really appropriate your help, but I am just not getting it, Ill have to go into see my prof I guess, thanks for sticking with me this far

Or simply,

T=n1*1/6=n2*2/13

where n1 and n2 are the lowest common value multiple of the individual periods.

Sorry for the long probably round about explanation.

klawlor419 said:
Or simply,

T=n1*1/6=n2*2/13

where n1 and n2 are the lowest common value multiple of the individual periods.

Sorry for the long probably round about explanation.

I did that part at the first and got n1=12 ans n2=13.
this gave a T of 2sec and a f of .5/sec

which totally makes sense to me but the back of my book says the answer is 6.25/sec

You can use this identity:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=factor+sin+x+++sin+y
to get a product of two sin terms.
It will result a typical expression encountered when you study beats between two close frequencies.
The motion has a fast, 6.25 Hz component, modulated by a slow varying "amplitude" (0.25 Hz).

This link shows how to derive the identity, which gives the result 6.25Hz and .25Hz

http://math.ucsd.edu/~wgarner/math4c/derivations/trigidentities/sumprod.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
than ks to both of you! I get it now and was able to use that steps to solve other problems

What is meant by "finding the frequency of the combined motion"?

"Finding the frequency of the combined motion" refers to determining the rate at which a system repeats its motion when multiple vibrations or oscillations are combined and acting simultaneously.

Why is it important to find the frequency of combined motion?

Knowing the frequency of combined motion is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as those found in physics, engineering, and biology. It allows us to make accurate calculations and design efficient systems.

How do you calculate the frequency of combined motion?

To calculate the frequency of combined motion, you need to determine the individual frequencies of each component and then use the principle of superposition to add them together. The resulting sum will be the frequency of the combined motion.

What factors can affect the frequency of combined motion?

The frequency of combined motion can be affected by the individual frequencies of the components, their amplitudes, and the phase difference between them. External factors such as damping and external forces can also impact the frequency.

Can the frequency of combined motion change over time?

Yes, the frequency of combined motion can change over time if the individual components have varying frequencies or if the system is subject to external forces that can alter the overall frequency. However, if the components have constant frequencies and the system is isolated, the frequency of combined motion will remain constant.