Finding the General Solution for Second Order Confusion

One way to do that is to differentiate each one twice and then substitute these into the diff. equation.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I am having trouble with ex 6.1 and 6.2. I am listed my ans below, and shown working. Could someone please advise. First I am not sure why I have to start with $$x=Ae^{imt}$$. Why cannot start with
$$Ae^{px}$$?
upload_2017-2-8_19-53-2.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) $$Aux: -m^2+irm+r^2=0$$
$$\Delta=(ir)^2-4(-1)(r^2)=3r^2$$
$$\sqrt(\Delta)=r\sqrt(3)$$
$$m=\frac{ir\pm r\sqrt(3)}{2}$$

$$x=e^{\frac{-ir}{2}}(Ae^{\frac{ir\sqrt3}{2}}+Be^{\frac{-ir\sqrt3}{2}})$$

ii) For this I followed the same process but came up with, which not enitrly sure if that satisfys the general solution.[/B]
$$x=Ae^{\frac{-ir}{2}}$$

iii) Once again same process and I got

$$x=e^{\frac{ir}{2}}(Ae^{\frac{ir\sqrt5}{2}}+Be^{\frac{-ir\sqrt5}{2}})$$

6.2 why do I have to concern myself with the solution, of
$$y=Axe^{imt}$$
when I am finding the P.I?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I am having trouble with ex 6.1 and 6.2. I am listed my ans below, and shown working. Could someone please advise. First I am not sure why I have to start with $$x=Ae^{imt}$$. Why cannot start with
$$Ae^{px}$$?
View attachment 112754

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) $$Aux: -m^2+irm+r^2=0$$
You skipped too many steps. The first two terms above are OK, but the third term is wrong.
Taylor_1989 said:
$$\Delta=(ir)^2-4(-1)(r^2)=3r^2$$
$$\sqrt(\Delta)=r\sqrt(3)$$
$$m=\frac{ir\pm r\sqrt(3)}{2}$$

$$x=e^{\frac{-ir}{2}}(Ae^{\frac{ir\sqrt3}{2}}+Be^{\frac{-ir\sqrt3}{2}})$$

ii) For this I followed the same process but came up with, which not enitrly sure if that satisfys the general solution.

$$x=Ae^{\frac{-ir}{2}}$$

iii) Once again same process and I got

$$x=e^{\frac{ir}{2}}(Ae^{\frac{ir\sqrt5}{2}}+Be^{\frac{-ir\sqrt5}{2}})$$

6.2 why do I have to concern myself with the solution, of
$$y=Axe^{imt}$$
when I am finding the P.I?
I don't know. The image you posted doesn't include the differential equation.

@Mark44 when you say the third is wrong which are in ref to? the quadtratic? The question say I have to use

$$Ae^{imt}$$

are you saying I should replace I am with p?

My confusion come from the question it self. Am I looking for a general soulution of the forum, x=Ae^imx or am I take the 1st and 2nd differntial and and subbing in

Taylor_1989 said:
My confusion come from the question it self. Am I looking for a general soulution of the forum, x=Ae^imx or am I take the 1st and 2nd differntial and and subbing in
You're looking for a solution of the form ##x = Ae^{imt}##, not ##Ae^{imx}##. It's probably a typo, but you don't want to assume that ##x = Ae^{imx}## is a solution, with x as both the dependent and independent variables.
Find x'(t) and x''(t), and substitute into the differential equation. It looks like you were doing this to get the auxiliary equation you showed, but the ##r^2## term in your quadratic equation is wrong.

As for your question, "why can't I start with ##Ae^{px}##?" the problem statement says to use ##x = Ae^{imt}## and not otherwise.

Last edited:
@Mark44 how is the r^2 value wrong as I have to sub it in for labda

my working are as follows:

$$\lambda=r^2$$

$$x''=-A(m^2)e^{imt}, x'= A(im)e^{imt}, x= Ae^{imt}$$
subbing the values in and factoring Ae^imt out of the equation I get a quadtratic in m

$$-m^2+imr+r^2=0$$

Last edited:
I missed that (case i)bit in your posted image. Sorry to have caused some confusion.

Taylor_1989 said:
@Mark44 how is the r^2 value wrong as I have to sub it in for labda

my working are as follows:

$$\lambda=r^2$$

$$x''=-A(m^2)e^{imt}, x'= A(im)e^{imt}, x= Ae^{imt}$$
subbing the values in and factoring Ae^imt out of the equation I get a quadtratic in m

$$-m^2+imr+r^2=0$$
Or ##m^2 -imr - r^2 = 0##
Now solve for m to get your solution ##x = Ae^{imt}##.

my general solution would be:

$$x=Ae^{\frac{ir\pm \sqrt3 t}{2}}$$

no worries the print screen is not great

Taylor_1989 said:
no worries the print screen is not great
It was clear enough -- I just didn't read far enough.
Taylor_1989 said:
my general solution would be:

$$x=Ae^{\frac{ir\pm \sqrt3 t}{2}}$$
This is close.

From your solution for m, ##m_1 = \frac r 2(\sqrt 3 + i), m_2 = \frac r 2(-\sqrt 3 + i)##
So, ##im_1 = \frac r 2(-1 + \sqrt 3 i)## and ##im_2 = \frac r 2(-1 - \sqrt 3 i)##
##x_1(t) = Ae^{im_1t}## and ##x_2(t) = Ae^{im_2t}##
It would be a good idea to verify that both are solutions to your diff. equation.

Related to Finding the General Solution for Second Order Confusion

1. What is second order confusion?

Second order confusion is a phenomenon in which a person or system incorrectly interprets or confuses the order of events. It occurs when a person or system fails to accurately perceive the sequence of events or information, leading to misinterpretation and confusion.

2. What causes second order confusion?

There are several factors that can contribute to second order confusion, such as cognitive biases, information overload, lack of clear communication, and incomplete or inaccurate information. It can also be caused by individual differences in perception and understanding.

3. How does second order confusion affect decision making?

Second order confusion can have a significant impact on decision making, as it can lead to incorrect assumptions and faulty reasoning. It can also result in poor judgment and decision-making, as well as delays in problem solving and decision implementation.

4. Can second order confusion be prevented?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent second order confusion, there are steps that can be taken to minimize its occurrence. These include clear communication, verifying information, considering multiple perspectives, and being aware of potential biases and limitations in perception and understanding.

5. How is second order confusion different from other types of confusion?

Second order confusion is distinct from first order confusion, which refers to a simple misunderstanding or misinterpretation. First order confusion can usually be easily resolved, while second order confusion is more complex and requires deeper analysis and understanding of the underlying causes.