Finding the Inverse of a Sum of Matrices

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 10K views
CentreShifter
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Inverse of a sum of matrices [solved]

The problem is relatively simple. Given the equation:

[tex](I+2A)^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix} <br /> -1 & 2 \\ <br /> 4 & 5 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Find A.

My problem seems to be that I'm distributing the inverse on the LHS incorrectly. My real question then is, is the following correct?

[tex](I+2A)^{-1}=I^{-1}+\frac{1}{2}A^{-1}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CentreShifter said:
The problem is relatively simple. Given the equation:

[tex](I+2A)^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix} <br /> -1 & 2 \\ <br /> 4 & 5 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Find A.

My problem seems to be that I'm distributing the inverse on the LHS incorrectly. My real question then is, is the following correct?

[tex](I+2A)^{-1}=I^{-1}+\frac{1}{2}A^{-1}[/tex]
No. There is no distributive property for exponents, which is what you seem to be doing.

Since
[tex](I+2A)^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix} <br /> -1 & 2 \\ <br /> 4 & 5 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The matrix on the right is clearly invertible, so why don't you take the inverse of both sides?
 
Well, exponents do distribute over products in some fashion, and there is the binomial theorem and its generalizations. But the first is not relevant and the second a long and torturous path for this problem.
 
I should have been more clear - that exponents don't distribute over a sum; in other words, that (A + B)n [itex]\neq[/itex] An + Bn.
 
Beautiful.

Inverting both sides did the trick.

Inverse of the RHS is [tex]\begin{bmatrix}\frac{-5}{13} & \frac{2}{13} \\ \frac{4}{13} & \frac{1}{13} \end{bmatrix}[/tex]. I'll call this [tex]B^{-1}[/tex]

So then I'm left with
[tex]\begin{align}I+2A&=B^{-1} \\<br /> <br /> 2A&=B^{-1}-I \\<br /> <br /> A&=\frac{B^{-1}-I}{2}=\begin{bmatrix} \frac{-9}{13} & \frac{1}{13} \\ \frac{2}{13} & \frac{-6}{13}\end{bmatrix} \end{align}[/tex]

Plugging this into the original LHS yields the correct result. Thanks.