Finding the limit of trigonometric functions?

In summary, the problem involves finding the limit of x-->0 of tan6x/sin2x. The first step involves simplifying to (sin6x/cos6x)/(2sinx cosx). The next step is to multiply by the reciprocal and apply the theorem sin(x)/x = 1 to get (sin6x/1)(1/cos6x)/(sinx/1)(2cosx). Then, multiplying by 1/x and simplifying, we get 6/cosx divided by 2cosx, which simplifies to 3/cosx. It is also suggested to use L'Hopital's Rule for an easier solution.
r_swayze
Im having trouble with this problem here:

x-->0 tan6x / sin2x

So far I only have:

(sin6x / cos6x) / (2sinx cosx)

What would be the next step? Multiply the reciprocal?
Also, could somebody tell me if I am doing this problem right?

x--> 0 (sin (cosx)) / secx

sin (cosx) / 1/cosx

sin (cosx) cosx

sin (1) 1 = sin 1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know this limit?
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{sin(x)}{x} = 1[/tex]

yes, but I don't know how to get that point

just thought of something but I don't know if its right. Am I suppose to separate sin6x and sinx and then apply the sin(x)/x = 1 theorem?

(sin6x/1)(1/cos6x)
------------------
(sinx/1) 2cosx

then multiply by 1/x and apply the theorem?

6 / cosx
---------
2 cosx

Does this sound right? I feel like I am off track :/

sounds like extra complication, do you know L'Hopitals rule?

(that said end up in a similar place)

L'Hopitals is the way to go. did not try it with this problem but
one of the best "tools" i ever learned

r_swayze said:
just thought of something but I don't know if its right. Am I suppose to separate sin6x and sinx and then apply the sin(x)/x = 1 theorem?

(sin6x/1)(1/cos6x)
------------------
(sinx/1) 2cosx

then multiply by 1/x and apply the theorem?

6 / cosx
---------
2 cosx

Does this sound right? I feel like I am off track :/

You'd like to get sin(6x)/6x and 2x/sin(2x), so it's just a matter of multiplying by 1 in some form that gets you there. Note that since sin(x)/x approaches 1 as x approaches 0, x/sin(x) has the same limit. Also tan(x)/x approaches 1 as x approaches 0. This is actually easier than L'Hopital's Rule, I think, since there's the possibility of screwing up a derivative there.

no we haven't learned L'Hopitals yet, just started adding this week with trig and limits.

But did anyone check my second posting after Mark44? Does that look right to you guys?

edit: nvm someone answered

1. What is the definition of a limit in trigonometric functions?

A limit in trigonometric functions is the value that a function approaches as its input variable gets closer and closer to a specific value. It represents the behavior of the function near that value and helps us understand the behavior of the function as a whole.

2. How do you find the limit of a trigonometric function algebraically?

To find the limit of a trigonometric function algebraically, you need to simplify the function as much as possible by using trigonometric identities and basic algebraic techniques. Then, you can plug in the given value into the simplified expression to get the limit.

3. Can you use a graph to find the limit of a trigonometric function?

Yes, a graph can be a helpful tool in finding the limit of a trigonometric function. By plotting the function and visually analyzing its behavior near the given value, you can estimate the limit and confirm it with algebraic methods.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the limit of trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding the limit of trigonometric functions. These include limits involving trigonometric identities, limits at infinity, and limits involving undefined trigonometric functions such as tangent and cotangent.

5. Why is finding the limit of trigonometric functions important?

Finding the limit of trigonometric functions is important because it helps us understand the behavior of these functions and their properties. It also allows us to solve more complex problems involving trigonometric functions and to make predictions about their values at specific points.