1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Magnetic Field of two slabs.

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are two slabs on one another. The top slab has current coming out of the page and the bottom slab has current going into the page. y=0 is located between the two slabs. the current density of the top slab is J and the current density of the bottom slab is -J.

2. Relevant equations
    Is the magnetic field due to the top slab the same as the magnetic field due to the bottom slab?
    At y=0, what is the magnetic field?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Finding the magnetic field of one slab with current going one way is easy enough but I am confused the properties of the magnetic field with two slabs on one another. I thought that at y=0, (between the slabs) since there's no current at y=0, the magnetic field would be zero. But I realized that at y=0, this location will experience magnetic field from both the top and the bottom. So what is the amperian loop for this? Will the loop contain both 2 slabs or will the loop be a box inside the two slabs..?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted