Finding the Magnitude of a Dipole Moment

In summary, the electric dipole experiences a torque when it is in an electric field of magnitude 40 N/C. The magnitude of the torque is dependent on the angle between the electric field and the dipole moment. The minimum torque will be when sin theta is equal to zero, and the maximum torque will be when sin theta is equal to one.
jendead
[SOLVED] Finding the Magnitude of a Dipole Moment

Hi there,
I'm new to posting, but I've used this forum many times to help me with my homework :) I went the "take a photo of the textbook" route (there is a picture with the problem), so I hope that's acceptable.

Homework Statement

A certain electric dipole is placed in a uniform electric field E of magnitude 40 N/C. Figure 22-51 gives the magnitude (t) of the torque on the dipole versus the angle (theta) between field E and the dipole moment p. What is the magnitude of p?

E = 40 N/C

Homework Equations

(t) = -pEsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint we were given was "When is the torque minimum, and when is it maximum?"

I'm not sure where to start. The textbook and my lecture notes aren't helping me at all.

I don't quite understand the given figure, or what is being counted on the y-axis (I think that number on the left is multiplied by 10^-28?). I assume that somehow I am supposed to use the min/max torque, set them equal to each other, and solve for p.. but I don't know how I'm supposed to find the min/max angles in order to do this.

edit: Apparently file attachments don't work..
http://www.clan-dm.net/members/jen/dipolequestion.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The minimum torque will be when sin theta is equal to zero. The maximum will be when sin theta is equal to one. Yes, the y-axis is multiplied by 10-28. Since the minimum torque is zero i would suggest using the maximum torque.

Ok, that makes sense now. For some reason max torque being at 90 degrees was completely glossed over in class. In retrospect it does seem obvious now, but when I'm learning new stuff I become confused very easily.. especially when my last calc class was over a year ago.

Thank you very much. I'm sure I'll be back, because this semester is already killing me. :)

No problem. P.s. Welcome to the forums. :smile:

Thank you! I only wish I thought of registering sooner. :)

1. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule. It is a vector quantity that indicates the strength and direction of the overall polarity of a molecule.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a dipole moment?

The magnitude of a dipole moment can be calculated using the formula μ = Q x r, where μ is the dipole moment, Q is the magnitude of the charge on each end of the dipole, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. What units are used to measure dipole moments?

The SI unit for dipole moments is Coulomb-meter (C*m), but it is more commonly expressed in Debye (D), with 1 Debye equal to 3.336 x 10^-30 C*m.

4. How does the polarity of a molecule affect its dipole moment?

The more polar a molecule is, the larger its dipole moment will be. This is because polar molecules have a larger separation of positive and negative charges, resulting in a larger dipole moment.

5. Why is knowing the magnitude of a dipole moment important?

Knowing the magnitude of a dipole moment is important in understanding the physical and chemical properties of a molecule. It can affect the molecule's reactivity, solubility, and intermolecular forces. It is also useful in predicting the behavior of molecules in electric fields.