Finding the Magnitude of a Dipole Moment

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 12K views
jendead
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Finding the Magnitude of a Dipole Moment

Hi there,
I'm new to posting, but I've used this forum many times to help me with my homework :) I went the "take a photo of the textbook" route (there is a picture with the problem), so I hope that's acceptable.

Homework Statement


A certain electric dipole is placed in a uniform electric field E of magnitude 40 N/C. Figure 22-51 gives the magnitude (t) of the torque on the dipole versus the angle (theta) between field E and the dipole moment p. What is the magnitude of p?

E = 40 N/C

Homework Equations


(t) = -pEsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution


The hint we were given was "When is the torque minimum, and when is it maximum?"

I'm not sure where to start. The textbook and my lecture notes aren't helping me at all.

I don't quite understand the given figure, or what is being counted on the y-axis (I think that number on the left is multiplied by 10^-28?). I assume that somehow I am supposed to use the min/max torque, set them equal to each other, and solve for p.. but I don't know how I'm supposed to find the min/max angles in order to do this.

edit: Apparently file attachments don't work..
http://www.clan-dm.net/members/jen/dipolequestion.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The minimum torque will be when sin theta is equal to zero. The maximum will be when sin theta is equal to one. Yes, the y-axis is multiplied by 10-28. Since the minimum torque is zero i would suggest using the maximum torque.
 
Ok, that makes sense now. For some reason max torque being at 90 degrees was completely glossed over in class. In retrospect it does seem obvious now, but when I'm learning new stuff I become confused very easily.. especially when my last calc class was over a year ago.

Thank you very much. I'm sure I'll be back, because this semester is already killing me. :)
 
No problem. P.s. Welcome to the forums. :smile:
 
Thank you! I only wish I thought of registering sooner. :)