1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Max Value of a Function on a closed interval

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Finding the Max Value of a Function on a closed interval

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I'm reposting this because it's a subsection to a larger question I had and I figured more people might be able to help with a new topic name.

anyway i have the equation (eq1) C(t) = C + a(e^.5t) + b(e^.9t) t>0 [3,12]

a,b and C are constants.

3. The attempt at a solution

I realized from long ago that the max and mins of a function occur when y'=0

So I took the derivative of the function which gave me

C(t) = Css + a(e^.5t) + b(e^.9t) t>0

c'(t)= .5a(e^.5t) + .9b(e^.9t) = 0

i took the ln of the whole thing

and that gave me

[ln(.5a)*.5t] + [ln(.9b)*.9t] = 0

my question now is can use the property that ln(xy) = ln(x)+ln(y) to combine the two ln's and thereby combining the coeffiecients of t such that it is .5t+.9t = .14t

and the whole thing would be .14t*ln(.45ab)= 0

....... that seems to be wrong considering that the t's cancel out but I can't think of much else...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not quite. If the max and/or min occur in the interior of an interval, they must occur where y'= 0. The max and/or min may occur at the endpoints of the interval.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 'taking the ln of the whole thing' is a completely wrong move. E.g. ln(0)=-infinity and there is no rule that says ln(a+b)=ln(a)+ln(b). Rearrange the equation first. Start by writing .5*a*e^(.5*t)=-.9*b*e^(.9*t). Now move all of the e^ type things over to one side and everything else over to the other. Now 'take the ln of the whole thing'.

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not quite. If the max and/or min occur in the interior of an interval, they must occur where y'= 0. The max and/or min may occur at the endpoints of the interval.

No, no no! Ln(x+ y) is NOT ln(x)+ ln(y)!!
    I recommend factoring out e.5t: e.5t(.5a+ .9be.4t)= 0. Since e.5t is never 0, you must have .5a+ .9be.4t= 0. That should be easy to solve for t. Of course, one of a and b must be negative for this to be true.

Yes, that is wrong!

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5
    Should've kept those calc books :grumpy: thanks for the help guys

7. Mar 27, 2008 #6
    Just to clarify, I said that the ln(x*y) = ln(x) +ln(y) not ln(x+y)

that is correct isn't it?

8. Mar 27, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's correct. That's what you SAID. If you look back at what you actually USED, it was ln(x+y)=ln(x)+ln(y) (???) when you 'took the ln of the whole thing'.

9. Mar 27, 2008 #8
    yeah, I figured that. It just comes into play right after when I seprate these t's out so i wanted to double check. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?