Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the Max Value of a Function on a closed interval

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Finding the Max Value of a Function on a closed interval

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I'm reposting this because it's a subsection to a larger question I had and I figured more people might be able to help with a new topic name.

anyway i have the equation (eq1) C(t) = C + a(e^.5t) + b(e^.9t) t>0 [3,12]

a,b and C are constants.

3. The attempt at a solution

I realized from long ago that the max and mins of a function occur when y'=0

So I took the derivative of the function which gave me

C(t) = Css + a(e^.5t) + b(e^.9t) t>0

c'(t)= .5a(e^.5t) + .9b(e^.9t) = 0

i took the ln of the whole thing

and that gave me

[ln(.5a)*.5t] + [ln(.9b)*.9t] = 0

my question now is can use the property that ln(xy) = ln(x)+ln(y) to combine the two ln's and thereby combining the coeffiecients of t such that it is .5t+.9t = .14t

and the whole thing would be .14t*ln(.45ab)= 0

....... that seems to be wrong considering that the t's cancel out but I can't think of much else...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Not quite. If the max and/or min occur in the interior of an interval, they must occur where y'= 0. The max and/or min may occur at the endpoints of the interval.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 'taking the ln of the whole thing' is a completely wrong move. E.g. ln(0)=-infinity and there is no rule that says ln(a+b)=ln(a)+ln(b). Rearrange the equation first. Start by writing .5*a*e^(.5*t)=-.9*b*e^(.9*t). Now move all of the e^ type things over to one side and everything else over to the other. Now 'take the ln of the whole thing'.

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Not quite. If the max and/or min occur in the interior of an interval, they must occur where y'= 0. The max and/or min may occur at the endpoints of the interval.

No, no no! Ln(x+ y) is NOT ln(x)+ ln(y)!!
    I recommend factoring out e.5t: e.5t(.5a+ .9be.4t)= 0. Since e.5t is never 0, you must have .5a+ .9be.4t= 0. That should be easy to solve for t. Of course, one of a and b must be negative for this to be true.

Yes, that is wrong!

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5
    Should've kept those calc books :grumpy: thanks for the help guys

7. Mar 27, 2008 #6
    Just to clarify, I said that the ln(x*y) = ln(x) +ln(y) not ln(x+y)

that is correct isn't it?

8. Mar 27, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's correct. That's what you SAID. If you look back at what you actually USED, it was ln(x+y)=ln(x)+ln(y) (???) when you 'took the ln of the whole thing'.

9. Mar 27, 2008 #8
    yeah, I figured that. It just comes into play right after when I seprate these t's out so i wanted to double check. Thanks again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook