Finding the Minimum Value of x in Hyperbolic Calculus

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of x when TN is at a minimum. The person tried using the points T and N to find the value of x, but ran into trouble when trying to solve for x. They eventually realized their mistake and were able to find the correct value of x using an inverse hyperbolic function.
synkk
q: http://gyazo.com/297417b9665206ae8e38cb8b5d930a83

I'm stuck trying to find the value of x when TN is a minimum

here's what I've tried so far:

Let T be the point (a,0) and N be the point (b,0)

line of tangent through P:

## y = sinh(x)(x-a) ##
line of normal through P ## y = \dfrac{-1}{sinh(x)}(x-b) ##

my plan was to rearrange for a and b and find b-a and try differentiate that and set the derivative to be 0 and solve for x:

## a = x - \dfrac{y}{sinh(x)} ##
## b = y(sinh(x)) + x ##
## b - a = y(sinh(x) + \dfrac{1}{sinh(x)}) ##
## \dfrac{d(b-a)}{dx} = \dfrac{dy}{dx} (sinh(x) + \dfrac{1}{sinh(x)}) + y(cosh(x) - coth(x)cosech(x)) = sinh^2(x) + 1 + y(cosh(x) - coth(x)cosech(x)) = 0## but I can't seem to solve that

any ideas on where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi synkk! :smile:
synkk said:
## a = x - \dfrac{y}{sinh(x)} ##
## b = y(sinh(x)) + x ##
## b - a = y(sinh(x) + \dfrac{1}{sinh(x)}) ##
## \dfrac{d(b-a)}{dx} = \dfrac{dy}{dx} (sinh(x) + \dfrac{1}{sinh(x)}) + y(cosh(x) - coth(x)cosech(x)) = sinh^2(x) + 1 + y(cosh(x) - coth(x)cosech(x)) = 0## but I can't seem to solve that

erm :redface:

y isn't a variable, y is coshx ! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi synkk! :smile:erm :redface:

y isn't a variable, y is coshx ! :wink:

oh thank you, but is my method correct?

following on from this I get ## x = arsinh(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}) ## is this correct?

yup! :biggrin:

Likes 1 person
You could have saved yourself differentiating ##\sinh(x) + \frac{1}{\sinh(x)}## by instead adding the two terms and noting the hyperbolic trig identity -- otherwise, all correct.

Related to Finding the Minimum Value of x in Hyperbolic Calculus

1. What is hyperbolic calculus?

Hyperbolic calculus is a mathematical framework that extends traditional calculus to include hyperbolic functions such as hyperbolic sine and hyperbolic cosine. It is particularly useful for solving problems involving exponential growth and decay.

2. Why is finding the minimum value of x important in hyperbolic calculus?

Finding the minimum value of x is important in hyperbolic calculus because it allows us to determine the optimal conditions for a system that follows hyperbolic growth or decay. This can be useful in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

3. How do you find the minimum value of x in hyperbolic calculus?

To find the minimum value of x in hyperbolic calculus, you can use the derivative of the hyperbolic function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for x to find the critical point. Next, use the second derivative test to determine if the critical point is a minimum value.

4. What is the difference between finding the minimum value of x in traditional calculus and hyperbolic calculus?

The main difference is that traditional calculus uses trigonometric functions, while hyperbolic calculus uses hyperbolic functions. This means that the methods for finding the minimum value of x will differ slightly, but the basic principles are still the same.

5. Can you give an example of finding the minimum value of x in hyperbolic calculus?

Sure, let's say we have a function f(x) = 3sinh(x). To find the minimum value of x, we would first take the derivative, which is f'(x) = 3cosh(x). We then set this equal to zero and solve for x, which gives us x = 0. Next, we use the second derivative test and find that f''(0) = 3, indicating that x = 0 is a minimum value. Therefore, the minimum value of x in this example is x = 0.