Finding the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges.

In summary: Now you just need to calculate the magnitude.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net force, in the x-direction, on a charge placed at the center of a square with four charges at its corners. Using the equations F=qE and F=\frac{kQq}{r^{2}}, the net force is found to be a positive value. However, the calculation only considers one component of the force and the sign of the other component needs to be considered.
Cmertin

Homework Statement

Four charges Aq,Bq,Cq, and Dq (q = 5.00 × 10-7C) sit in a plane at the corners of a square whose sides have length d = 83.0 cm, as shown in the diagram below. A charge, Eq, is placed at the origin at the center of the square.
DATA: A = 2, B = 4, C = 7, D = 4, E = -5. Consider the charge at the center of the square. What is the net force, in the x-direction, on this charge?
[PLAIN]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8150/cleancopycopy.png

Homework Equations

F=[tex]\frac{kQq}{r^{2}}[/tex]
F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did, is I found the net force for each side. Since Force=qE, it would be simple subtraction of the numbers. This gave the vector direction and magnitude of each force. The resulting force of Bq and Dq was 0 while the resulting force of Aq and Cq was 5q SouthEast (represented in the picture below).
[PLAIN]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9906/cleancopy.png
The distance between Dq and Eq would be equal to [tex]\frac{\sqrt{d^{2}+d^{2}}}{2}[/tex] since it would only be half the distance of the triangle created by using Pythagoras's theorem (which I got as a value of .5869m).
Now I used the formula F=[tex]\frac{kQq}{r^{2}}[/tex]
F=[tex]\frac{8.988x10^9\frac{N*m^{2}}{C^{2}}*5*5x10^{-7}C*-5*5x10^{-7}C}{(.5869m)^{2}}[/tex]*cos(45°)+0=-1.153x10[tex]^{-1}[/tex]N
Note: the "0" is in there because the force vector of Bq to Cq resulted as 0.

I tried this but it says that it's the wrong answer. If you could help me, that would be great.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cmertin said:
What I did, is I found the net force for each side. Since Force=qE, it would be simple subtraction of the numbers. This gave the vector direction and magnitude of each force. The resulting force of Bq and Dq was 0 while the resulting force of Aq and Cq was 5q SouthEast (represented in the picture below).
[PLAIN]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9906/cleancopy.png
The distance between Dq and Eq would be equal to [tex]\frac{\sqrt{d^{2}+d^{2}}}{2}[/tex] since it would only be half the distance of the triangle created by using Pythagoras's theorem (which I got as a value of .5869m).
Now I used the formula F=[tex]\frac{kQq}{r^{2}}[/tex]
F=[tex]\frac{8.988x10^9\frac{N*m^{2}}{C^{2}}*5*5x10^{-7}C*-5*5x10^{-7}C}{.5869m^{2}}[/tex]*cos(45°)+0=-1.153x10[tex]^{-1}[/tex]N
Note: the "0" is in there because the force vector of Bq to Cq resulted as 0.

I tried this but it says that it's the wrong answer. If you could help me, that would be great.
Thanks!

There are two components to the net force. You've calculated for one of them. Watch your signs.

Last edited by a moderator:
gneill said:
There are two components to the net force. You've calculated for one of them. Watch your signs.

Yes, there is going to be a y-component and an x-component however this question is only asking for
first post said:
What is the net force, in the x-direction, on this charge?
Thus, I'm confused as to what mistake I am making in finding the x-component of the vector.

Looking at you diagram, what do you think the sign should be of the x-component of the force?

gneill said:
Looking at you diagram, what do you think the sign should be of the x-component of the force?

It should be positive then, right?

Yup.

1. What is the formula for finding the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges?

The formula for finding the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges is F_net = k*q*(q1/r1^2 + q2/r2^2 + q3/r3^2 + q4/r4^2), where F_net is the net force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge in the center, and q1, q2, q3, and q4 are the charges of the 4 other charges, and r1, r2, r3, and r4 are the distances from the center charge to each of the 4 other charges.

2. How do you determine the direction of the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges?

The direction of the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges can be determined using the right-hand rule. Place your thumb in the direction of the center charge's positive charge, and then curl your fingers towards the direction of each of the 4 other charges. The direction in which your fingers curl is the direction of the net force.

3. Can the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges be negative?

Yes, the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges can be negative. This means that the forces from the 4 other charges are acting in opposite directions, resulting in a net force with a negative magnitude.

4. Is the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges affected by the distance between the charges?

Yes, the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges is affected by the distance between the charges. According to the inverse square law, the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Therefore, as the distance between the center charge and the 4 other charges increases, the net force will decrease.

5. Can the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges be zero?

Yes, the net force on a charge in the center of 4 other charges can be zero. This occurs when the forces from the 4 other charges cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero.