Finding the original pressure, thermodynamics

In summary, at 50 degrees Celsius, the vapor pressure of Freon 12 is less than the pressure at 20 degrees Celsius, and the pressure at 21 degrees Celsius is still less than the vapor pressure of Freon 12.
jweie29nh

Homework Statement

Freon 12 is contained in a sealed glass container at 50°C. As it is cooled, vapor droplets arc noted
condensing on the sidewalls at 20°C. Find the original pressure in the container.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the Freon 12 table I subtracted the given pressures from 50 degrees and 20 degrees to get 652 kpa. I'm pretty sure the this is an appropriate solution. More likely there is another approach to solving this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
At ## T=50^{\circ} ## C , it is all vaporized so the pressure is less than the vapor pressure at that temperature. I'm presuming at ## T=21^{\circ} ## C there still were no droplets forming. Would not the approximate answer be the vapor pressure at ## T=20^{\circ} ## C which is ## P=566 ## kPa, or just slightly more than this? ## \\ ## As Homework Helpers we are not supposed to supply the answer, but this one involves an interpretation, and I think it has a very simple answer, but the OP still needs to determine if what I have proposed is indeed correct. ## \\ ## See also: https://edisciplinas.usp.br/pluginfile.php/283793/mod_resource/content/2/R12 Properties.pdf ## \\ ## And meanwhile, I think the solution that you have proposed is incorrect. The first temperature they chose to present could have been any temperature above ## T=20^{\circ} ## C , including ## T=21^{\circ} ## C . Taking ## P(21^{\circ} \, C)-P(20^{\circ} \, C) ## would be incorrect.

Last edited:
If the vapor pressure of an ideal gas is 566 kPa at 20 C, what is the pressure of the gas at 50 C (assuming the volume is constant)?

Likes Charles Link
Chestermiller said:
If the vapor pressure of an ideal gas is 566 kPa at 20 C, what is the pressure of the gas at 50 C (assuming the volume is constant)?
Thank you @Chestermiller :smile: . I overlooked this second part of the problem. Hopefully the OP returns to also figure out how to work it.

1. How do you calculate the original pressure using thermodynamics?

In order to calculate the original pressure using thermodynamics, you will need to know the initial volume, temperature, and number of moles of the gas. Then, you can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to solve for the original pressure.

2. Can you determine the original pressure without knowing the volume, temperature, or number of moles?

No, in order to calculate the original pressure using thermodynamics, you will need to have all three of these variables. Otherwise, the calculation will not be accurate.

3. Is it possible to find the original pressure of a gas if it has undergone a phase change?

Yes, it is possible to find the original pressure of a gas even if it has undergone a phase change. However, in this case, you will need to take into account the change in volume and temperature when using the ideal gas law to calculate the original pressure.

4. What is the significance of finding the original pressure in thermodynamics?

Finding the original pressure in thermodynamics allows us to understand the behavior of gases and their properties, such as volume, temperature, and number of moles. This information is crucial in various scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering.

5. Can the original pressure of a gas change over time?

Yes, the original pressure of a gas can change over time due to factors such as changes in temperature, volume, or the addition or removal of gas molecules. This change in pressure can affect the overall behavior and properties of the gas.