Finding the potential energy function( I don't know how the answer came to be)

In summary, the given force is conservative with a constant A. To find the potential function, we integrate the negative of the force, setting the potential to zero at the origin. The integrals over the x and y directions are zero and x, respectively. The correct answer is -Axy, as given by the gradient of xy.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

The give force is conservative [tex]F=A(y,x,0)[/tex] where A is a constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the potential function we integrate the negative of the force. Setting the potential U to be zero at the origin, we can integrate over an easy path, so I think going over to the x direction once, and then up in the y direction could work right?

So here are the two integrals(the z-direction force is zero so it's integral would be zero as well.

[tex]-A\int_0 ^x y' dx' +-A\int_0 ^y x' dy'[/tex]

If I do those integrals I get -2Axy, yet the answer is supposed to be -Axy, I'm wondering if maybe the path I'm using is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raziel2701! :smile:

The first integral (over x) has to be at y = 0, so it's zero. :wink:

(the second integral (over y) is at x = x)

(btw, isn't it obvious that (y,x,0) = grad(xy) ? :smile:)

1. What is potential energy function?

Potential energy function is a mathematical expression that describes the potential energy of a system as a function of its position or configuration.

2. How is potential energy function related to forces?

Potential energy function is related to forces through the principle of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant. The gradient of the potential energy function at a specific point gives the force acting on an object at that point.

3. What are some common types of potential energy functions?

Some common types of potential energy functions include gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, and electric potential energy.

4. How is potential energy function used in physics?

Potential energy function is used to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is used in various fields of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

5. Can potential energy function be negative?

Yes, potential energy function can be negative. This usually happens when the reference point for measuring potential energy is chosen arbitrarily. The important factor is the change in potential energy, rather than the absolute value.