Find Slope of 1st Line w/ Given Data

• Thread starter markram987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary: So let's say your m2 was 1 for example.theta = tan^-1(1) = 45 degrees.Now you have gotten the angle for the line, you add the angle that you're given in your question and to get the slope of the line we are trying to find you calculate it using the following equation:m1 = tan(45 + 90) = tan(135) = -1.Also if you're using a calculator make sure its set to degrees if you're working in degrees.
markram987
finding the slope??

how to find the slope of 1st line?. when 2nd line slope is given, angle between them is given, the intersection of the 2 lines are given also... any ideas?
see this
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1055/questionz.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

markram987 said:
how to find the slope of 1st line?. when 2nd line slope is given, angle between them is given, the intersection of the 2 lines are given also... any ideas?
see this
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/1055/questionz.png

Do you know the relationship between the slope of a line and its tangent?

Last edited by a moderator:

chiro said:
Do you know the relationship between the slope of a line and its tangent?

you mean tangent theta= slope?? so what's the specific formulai can use?

Yes that's the formula.

So given that tan(theta) = m2 and given we know what m2 is, do you know how to get theta by itself? Do you know about inverse functions?

(Hint tan^-1(tan(theta)) = theta if 0 <= theta < pi))

chiro said:
(Hint tan^-1(tan(theta)) = theta if 0 <= theta < pi))

i didn't understand your hint.
the theta or angle are given and i know the high school inverse function..
i will thank you if you just let type the formula here or equate it to m1 and then i will think how it is derive.. if i didn't know i will ask you question^^

markram987 said:
i didn't understand your hint.
the theta or angle are given and i know the high school inverse function..
i will thank you if you just let type the formula here or equate it to m1 and then i will think how it is derive.. if i didn't know i will ask you question^^

Ok then I will give you the answer and go through it step by step.

As you may know the tangent is calculated using rise over a run. So basically if our tangent was +1 it means that if my x moves one unit to the right, then my y moves one unit up. If it was +2 it means if i move one unit to the right, then my y moves two units up.

If it was say -1, it means that if i move my x one unit to the right then my y goes down one.

Now going back to trigonometry of right angled triangles we know that tan = opposite over adjacent which is what the tangent is: remember its a line and if we form a triangle with our x and y we get a right angled triangle.

So you know that m2 = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1) = tan(theta).

So to find theta if we have m2, we use the formula:

theta = tan^-1(m2). If you haven't seen tan^-1 it means the "inverse tangent" and it is also called "arctan". If you have a calculator it will probably say "tan^-1).

So let's say your m2 was 1 for example.

theta = tan^-1(1) = 45 degrees.

Now you have gotten the angle for the line, you add the angle that you're given in your question and to get the slope of the line we are trying to find you calculate it using

Lets pretend the angle you are given is 90 degrees.

Your answer for finding slope for line 2 would be found by calculating:

m1 = tan(45 + 90) = tan(135) = -1.

Also if you're using a calculator make sure its set to degrees if you're working in degrees.

markram987 said:
you mean tangent theta= slope?? so what's the specific formulai can use?

... so, since you know the slope of line2, you can determine the angle it makes with the positive x-axis, right? Call that angle [itex]\alpha[/tex]

Once you find that, simply add the angle [itex]\Theta[/tex] (the angle between the lines) to that [itex](\beta = \Theta + \alpha)[/tex] and find the slope of the line that makes an angle of [itex]\beta[/tex] with the positive x-axis.

chiro said:
Ok then I will give you the answer and go through it step by step.

As you may know the tangent is calculated using rise over a run. So basically if our tangent was +1 it means that if my x moves one unit to the right, then my y moves one unit up. If it was +2 it means if i move one unit to the right, then my y moves two units up.

If it was say -1, it means that if i move my x one unit to the right then my y goes down one.

Now going back to trigonometry of right angled triangles we know that tan = opposite over adjacent which is what the tangent is: remember its a line and if we form a triangle with our x and y we get a right angled triangle.

So you know that m2 = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1) = tan(theta).

So to find theta if we have m2, we use the formula:

theta = tan^-1(m2). If you haven't seen tan^-1 it means the "inverse tangent" and it is also called "arctan". If you have a calculator it will probably say "tan^-1).

So let's say your m2 was 1 for example.

theta = tan^-1(1) = 45 degrees.

Now you have gotten the angle for the line, you add the angle that you're given in your question and to get the slope of the line we are trying to find you calculate it using

Lets pretend the angle you are given is 90 degrees.

Your answer for finding slope for line 2 would be found by calculating:

m1 = tan(45 + 90) = tan(135) = -1.

Also if you're using a calculator make sure its set to degrees if you're working in degrees.

thank you^^ you have nice tutorial...
did you mean that this is the right formula? m1 = tan((tan^-1(m2))+given angle) or m1 = tan(theta + given angle)

it is also the same with this formula tan(theta1-theta2)= ((m2-m1)/(1+(m1*m2)))?

Last edited:

zgozvrm said:
... so, since you know the slope of line2, you can determine the angle it makes with the positive x-axis, right? Call that angle [itex]\alpha[/tex]

Once you find that, simply add the angle [itex]\Theta[/tex] (the angle between the lines) to that [itex](\beta = \Theta + \alpha)[/tex] and find the slope of the line that makes an angle of [itex]\beta[/tex] with the positive x-axis.

can you give example?

markram987 said:
can you give example?

We are given slope m2 and angle [itex]\Theta[/tex] between the two lines.

Let's say we have m2 = 0.404 and [itex]\Theta = 75^\circ[/tex].

Then we know that Line 2 makes an angle of [itex]\alpha = \tan ^{-1}(0.404) = 22^\circ[/tex] with the positive x-axis.
The angle that line 1 makes with the positive x-axis is [itex]\beta = \alpha + \Theta = 22 + 75 = 97^\circ[/tex]

The slope of line 1 would then be [itex]\tan (\beta) = \tan(97^\circ) = -8.144[/tex]

zgozvrm said:
We are given slope m2 and angle [itex]\Theta[/tex] between the two lines.Let's say we have m2 = 0.404 and [itex]\Theta = 75^\circ[/tex].

Then we know that Line 2 makes an angle of [itex]\alpha = \tan ^{-1}(0.404) = 22^\circ[/tex] with the positive x-axis.
The angle that line 1 makes with the positive x-axis is [itex]\beta = \alpha + \Theta = 22 + 75 = 97^\circ[/tex]

The slope of line 1 would then be [itex]\tan (\beta) = \tan(97^\circ) = -8.144[/tex]

nice ,it is the same but a simple standard equation..
can u post a picture with that 22degree and 97degree because i can't imagine the angle positon..

Last edited:

markram987 said:
nice ,it is the same but a simple standard equation..
can u post a picture with that 22degree and 97degree because i can't imagine the angle positon..

Sure! Here you are...

Attachments

• Lines-Layout1.jpg
    Lines-Layout1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 438

1. What is the formula for finding the slope of a line?

The formula for finding the slope of a line is (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of two points on the line.

2. Can you provide an example of finding the slope of a line given two points?

For example, if we have two points (2, 4) and (6, 10) on a line, the slope would be (10 - 4) / (6 - 2) = 6 / 4 = 1.5.

3. How do you interpret the slope of a line?

The slope of a line represents the rate of change between two points on the line. It tells us how much the y-value changes for every one unit increase in the x-value.

4. What does a positive or negative slope indicate?

A positive slope indicates that the line is increasing from left to right, while a negative slope indicates that the line is decreasing from left to right. The steeper the slope, the greater the rate of change.

5. Is it possible for a line to have a slope of 0?

Yes, a horizontal line has a slope of 0, meaning that the line has no change in the y-value for every 1 unit increase in the x-value.