Finding the spring constant while stretching and compressing

In summary, the student is struggling with a physics lab involving a cart, two springs, and finding the spring constant. They have tried using the formula k=(1/2mv^2)/x but are unsure if they should use kinetic or potential energy. Another person suggests using the elastic potential energy formula, Us = 1/2kx^2, but the student is unsure if it is relevant to their problem.
Eric0

Homework Statement

I have a physics lab that I'm just not making any progress on. For this lab my group used a 314 g cart. Two springs were used, both attached to the cart, and one being stretched the other compressed. The cart was then ran horizontally and it's velocity was found.

I want to find the the spring constant for each trial and then average it. I have the velocities for each trial of the cart after stretching/compressing. The three velocities of the cart after being attached to the stretched or compressed string in m/s are 1.18, 2.68, and 3.65. For the compression trials the velocity in m/s was found to be .2, .7, and 1.0.

Natural length of the stretched spring is 6 cm and the compressed 8.4 cm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to used the formula given: k= (1/2mv2)/x with x being the distance stretched/compressed. The values I got were kind of funky. I'm thinking I need to use kinetic or potential energy here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eric0 said:
I tried to used the formula given: k= (1/2mv2)/x with x being the distance stretched/compressed. The values I got were kind of funky. I'm thinking I need to use kinetic or potential energy here.

Hi Eric,

I think that I might be very wrong here, but I am looking at one of the more basic spring equations here; elastic potential energy: Us = 1/2kx2

…And if it is re-arranged, I cannot find that it turns into one of the equations that you are using here. I might very well be wrong, and I am sure that someone else will be able to help you properly, but I think you need to check you equations and re look at it in a different way.

Liberator.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your lab and the data you have collected. It seems like you are on the right track in trying to find the spring constant for each trial and then averaging them. However, I would like to clarify a few things before providing further guidance.

Firstly, it would be helpful to know the units of your velocities. Are they in m/s or cm/s? This will affect the units of your spring constant. Additionally, can you provide the mass of the cart? This information is necessary to calculate the kinetic energy in the formula you mentioned.

Secondly, it would be helpful to know the initial and final positions of the cart for each trial (i.e. the distance the spring is stretched or compressed). This will help in calculating the potential energy in the formula.

Once you have clarified these details, you can use the equations for potential and kinetic energy to calculate the spring constant. Remember to use consistent units throughout your calculations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab!

1. What is the purpose of finding the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is important to determine the spring constant in order to understand the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement. This information is crucial in various fields of science, such as in the design of mechanical systems and in studying the behavior of materials.

2. How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. This can be done by using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. In equation form, this can be written as F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

3. What are the units of the spring constant?

The units of the spring constant depend on the units used for force and displacement. In the SI system, the units for force is newtons (N) and the units for displacement is meters (m). Therefore, the units for the spring constant would be N/m. In the imperial system, the units for force is pounds (lbs) and the units for displacement is inches (in). The units for the spring constant in this system would be lbs/in.

4. How does the spring constant change with different materials?

The spring constant is affected by the material of the spring. The stiffness of a material is dependent on its elasticity, which is a measure of how much a material can be stretched or compressed without permanently deforming. Materials with higher elasticity, such as steel, will have a higher spring constant compared to materials with lower elasticity, such as rubber.

5. What are the potential sources of error when finding the spring constant?

There are several potential sources of error when finding the spring constant. These include variations in the applied force, inaccuracies in measuring the displacement, and the presence of other external forces acting on the spring. It is important to minimize these errors by using precise measuring instruments and conducting multiple trials to ensure accurate results.