Finding the square with a fraction in the expression

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a value a so that x^2 + x + 1/4 can be written as a square of a binomial expression. The technique of completing the square is mentioned, and it is found that a = 1/2 to make the expression a perfect square. The formula for a perfect square trinomial is also mentioned.
Amaz1ng

Homework Statement

[tex]x^2 + x + \frac{1}{4} [/tex]

Homework Equations

This should be written in the form:

[tex](x+y)^2 [/tex]

Just to add a bit more info, the exercise is to "Write each of the following as the square of a binomial expression". So basically the book teachs to take the rook of x^2 and 1/2, multiply those together, then multiply by 2. If that is equal to the middle term, then you can write:

[tex](\sqrt{x^2} + \sqrt{1/4})^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is that this can't be written as a square...which is what the textbook is asking to do. Anyway, I don't think this can be written as a square

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Amaz1ng.

You are asked to find if there is a value a so you can write

[tex]x^{2}+x+1/4=(x+a)^{2}[/tex]

If I have a number a, and I know a^2 = 1/4, what is a?

Karlx said:
Hi Amaz1ng.

I don't believe there is such a value of a. You can, however write x2 + x + 1/4 as (x + a)2 + b.

This technique is called completing the square. Your textbook should have numerous examples of how to do this.

Just to add a bit more info, the exercise is to "Write each of the following as the square of a binomial expression".

Karlx said:
Hi Amaz1ng.

Mark44 said:
I don't believe there is such a value of a.

Yes there is.

Using the perfect square trinomial pattern
[tex]a^2 + 2ab + b^2 = (a + b)^2[/tex]
equate
[tex]x^{2} + x + \frac{1}{4}[/tex]
with the left side to find a and b. If x corresponds to a, what corresponds to b?

answer in book.. :wink:

[tex](x+\frac{1}{2})^2[/tex]

..it's squared but for some reason the square doesn't show.

Well, has anyone checked to see if (x+1/2) * (x+1/2) = x^2+x+1/4?
Note: this would imply that a = 1/2 from Post #3 above.

eumyang said:
Yes there is.
I don't know why I didn't see that.:blushing:
eumyang said:
Using the perfect square trinomial pattern
[tex]a^2 + 2ab + b^2 = (a + b)^2[/tex]
equate
[tex]x^{2} + x + \frac{1}{4}[/tex]
with the left side to find a and b. If x corresponds to a, what corresponds to b?

1. How do you find the square with a fraction in the expression?

Finding the square with a fraction in the expression involves multiplying the fraction by itself. This can be done by first converting the fraction into an equivalent decimal, then multiplying the decimal by itself to find the square. Alternatively, you can use the formula (a/b)^2 = (a^2)/(b^2) to find the square of a fraction.

2. Can you find the square of a fraction without converting it into a decimal?

Yes, you can use the formula (a/b)^2 = (a^2)/(b^2) to find the square of a fraction without converting it into a decimal. This formula works for any fraction and will give you the exact answer without any rounding errors.

3. What is the difference between finding the square of a whole number and finding the square of a fraction?

The process of finding the square of a whole number and finding the square of a fraction is similar. However, when finding the square of a fraction, you need to make sure that the numerator and denominator are squared separately. This means that you will have to multiply the numerator by itself and the denominator by itself, rather than just multiplying the whole number by itself.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the square of a fraction?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when finding the square of a fraction. For example, if the fraction has a negative numerator or denominator, the square will be positive. Also, if the fraction has a denominator of 1, the square will be equal to the numerator.

5. Can you simplify the square of a fraction?

Yes, you can simplify the square of a fraction by factoring the numerator and denominator and cancelling out any common factors. This will give you the simplified form of the fraction's square, which may be easier to work with in certain cases.