Finding the sum of a series in calc

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of solving series problems, specifically finding the sum of a series. The general method is to compare the series to well-known series, such as geometric, binomial, or Taylor series. The specific example given is re-written in sigma notation and is identified as the Taylor series of \cos(x). The conversation also mentions the usefulness of comparing to well-known series and suggests practicing more problems to gain a better understanding.
karadda

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/KE9lZ.png"

I'm reviewing for my calculus II exam, and I'm unable to solve any problems of this type "find the sum of the series." sometimes i'll be given a series in sigma notation (like this problem), and sometimes i'll be given the first few terms of the series. Either way, I'm completely lost here. I could use a step by step guide on how to solve this type of problem. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The general method is to compare the series to certain well-known series, like geometric series, binomial series, or Taylor series of exponentials or trig functions.

For your specific example, start by re-writing it as

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n\pi^{2n}}{6^{2n+1}(2n)!}=\frac{1}{6}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n)!}\left(\frac{\pi}{6}\right)^{2n}[/tex]

Can you think of a Taylor series of a simple function, that only contains even powers and alternating terms?

My first step would be to try to identify what kind of series this is, based on the types of series that you know and have studied in your class.

Presumably you are familiar with the geometric series:
[tex] \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} x^k = \frac{1}{1-x}, |x| < 1 [/tex]

Geometric series are easy to identify and easy to evaluate.

If that doesn't work, try to identify the series as the Taylor series of some function or another.

It's probably useful to make sure you have a clear understanding of a) how to expand a function in a Taylor series and b) know the Taylor series for some common functions, such as ln (1+x), [itex] e^x [/itex], [itex] \sin x [/itex], [itex] \cos x [/itex], etc.

Usually if there's a factorial in the denominator, it's a Taylor series.

There are also some other notable series results, such as:

[tex] \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} [/tex] and the like.

Among these three categories, I would imagine that you'll find almost all the series that you would be asked on a second-semester calculus exam. Maybe I've missed something and other commentors will point it out.

In any event, the series you ask about is covered somewhere in the above. :)

gabbagabbahey said:
Can you think of a Taylor series of a simple function, that only contains even powers and alternating terms?

f(x) = cos x

Though its not exactly what I'm looking for, it matches that criteria... I think. I still don't quite understand why these comparisons with well known series is useful. I find a series like the one I have, manipulate it a bit to look like it..then integrate an improper integral?

karadda said:
f(x) = cos x

Though its not exactly what I'm looking for, it matches that criteria... I think. I still don't quite understand why these comparisons with well known series is useful. I find a series like the one I have, manipulate it a bit to look like it..then integrate an improper integral?

Well, what is the Taylor series for [itex]\cos(x)[/itex]?

[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (-1)^n x^(2n) / (2n)!
from n = 0 to infinity

It's almost exactly like my integral except for the 1/6 out front and the pi/6 inside.

does that mean pi/6 is the x value?

1/6 cos (pi/6) = [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] / 12

Yes, since [tex]\cos(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(2n)!}x^{2n}[/tex], you know that

[tex]\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{6}\right)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(2n)!}\left(\frac{\pi}{6}\right)^{2n}[/tex]

And so your series is just [itex]\frac{1}{6}\cos(\pi/6)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{12}[/itex]

! thank you both very much. I'm going to go practice a few (lots) more of these.

Thanks guys. I have been looking all over trying to find how to do this same thing. I'm taking Calculus 2 online right now for my senior year, and this subject has been very vague. Appreciate it!

Related to Finding the sum of a series in calc

1. What is the purpose of finding the sum of a series in calculus?

The purpose of finding the sum of a series in calculus is to determine the total value of the terms in a sequence. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating the total distance traveled by an object or the total amount earned from an investment.

2. How do you find the sum of a series in calculus?

To find the sum of a series in calculus, you can use the formula for the sum of a finite arithmetic or geometric series. This formula involves the number of terms in the series, the first term, and the common difference or ratio. You can also use various mathematical techniques, such as integration or partial fractions, for more complex series.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant. A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where the ratio between consecutive terms is constant. This difference is important when finding the sum of a series because it affects the formula used to calculate the sum.

4. Can you find the sum of an infinite series in calculus?

Yes, it is possible to find the sum of an infinite series in calculus. However, this can only be done if the series converges, meaning that the terms approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. If a series diverges, meaning that the terms do not approach a finite value, then the sum cannot be found.

5. What are some common techniques for finding the sum of a series in calculus?

Some common techniques for finding the sum of a series in calculus include using the formula for the sum of a finite arithmetic or geometric series, applying mathematical operations such as integration or differentiation, and using mathematical theorems such as the Ratio Test or the Integral Test.