Finding the time at which the displacement is a Maximum - Calculus

In summary, the oscillator has a maxima and a minima at t=infinity, and the points of inflection are at t=0 and t=100 respectively.
K.QMUL

Homework Statement

A damped oscillator has a displacement x as a function of time t given by x = e-t cos(∏t). Find the time at which the displacement is a maximum, when it is a minimum, and also nd
the time when x is a point of inflection.

Homework Equations

x = e-t cos(∏t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've no problem differentiating the equation, its when I come to finding the value of T that I am having trouble with.

Please see the attachment.

Attachments

• 20131014_154740.jpg
    20131014_154740.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,044
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have identified that at t=infinity, there exists a stationary point. What is the displacement then?
A maximum or minimum?

You also have infinitely many other possibilities for stationary points, namely:
(pi)*sin(pi*t)+cos(pi*t)=0, meaning
tan(pi*t)=-1/pi

Which of these stationary points will represent maxima or minima?

When we use t=infinity the displacement (when substituting t=infinity in the equation) we get 0. The nature of the curve at this value is a 'Point of inflection' as shown in the attachment. Regarding the finding T for [∏sin(∏t) + cos(∏t) = 0] Arildno you put a minus sign in front of the ∏sin(∏t), shouldn't it be positive when looking through my workings out? When we do this we get Tan(∏t) = -1/∏.

Please do point out anything that seems incorrect so far...
-Thanks

Attachments

• 20131014_162627.jpg
    20131014_162627.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 538
I hastily removed my minus sign, because it was, as you point out, incorrect.

K.QMUL said:

Homework Statement

A damped oscillator has a displacement x as a function of time t given by x = e-t cos(∏t). Find the time at which the displacement is a maximum, when it is a minimum, and also nd
the time when x is a point of inflection.

Homework Equations

x = e-t cos(∏t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've no problem differentiating the equation, its when I come to finding the value of T that I am having trouble with.

Please see the attachment.

Have you tried plotting a graph of x(t)? You should.

Note that the whole solution tends to 0 as t gets big.
Thus, your GLOBAL maximum should be your first LOCAL maximum, your GLOBAL minimum should be the first LOCAL minimum.

arildno said:
Note that the whole solution tends to 0 as t gets big.
Thus, your GLOBAL maximum should be your first LOCAL maximum, your GLOBAL minimum should be the first LOCAL minimum.

Your reasons are not sufficient in general, but they happen to lead to a correct result in this case. We can cook up functions that go to zero for large t, but whose maxima and/or minima occur at, say the 100th and 150th local max and min.

1. What exactly is "finding the time at which the displacement is a maximum" in calculus?

Finding the time at which the displacement is a maximum refers to using calculus to determine the point in time where an object's displacement reaches its highest value. This is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the peak of a trajectory or the maximum height of a projectile.

2. Why is calculus used to find the time at which the displacement is a maximum?

Calculus is used because it allows for the precise calculation of a maximum or minimum value, which is necessary for accurately determining the time at which an object's displacement is at its highest point. The derivative and optimization techniques in calculus are essential for solving these types of problems.

3. What are the necessary steps for finding the time at which the displacement is a maximum?

The necessary steps for finding the time at which the displacement is a maximum involve setting up an equation for the object's displacement and using calculus techniques to find the derivative. Then, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the time variable to determine the time at which the displacement is a maximum.

4. How does finding the time at which the displacement is a maximum relate to real-world applications?

Finding the time at which the displacement is a maximum has many real-world applications, such as determining the optimal time for a rocket to reach its maximum height or finding the best time to launch a projectile to achieve a desired trajectory. It also has uses in economics, such as determining the best time to invest in a stock for maximum return.

5. What are some common mistakes made when finding the time at which the displacement is a maximum?

Some common mistakes made when finding the time at which the displacement is a maximum include not properly setting up the equation for displacement, not taking the derivative correctly, and not correctly solving for the time variable. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.