1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the time at which the displacement is a Maximum - Calculus

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A damped oscillator has a displacement x as a function of time t given by x = e-t cos(∏t). Find the time at which the displacement is a maximum, when it is a minimum, and also nd
    the time when x is a point of inflection.

2. Relevant equations

x = e-t cos(∏t)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've no problem differentiating the equation, its when I come to finding the value of T that I am having trouble with.

Please see the attachment.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, you have identified that at t=infinity, there exists a stationary point. What is the displacement then?
    A maximum or minimum?

You also have infinitely many other possibilities for stationary points, namely:
    (pi)*sin(pi*t)+cos(pi*t)=0, meaning
    tan(pi*t)=-1/pi

Which of these stationary points will represent maxima or minima?

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3
    When we use t=infinity the displacement (when substituting t=infinity in the equation) we get 0. The nature of the curve at this value is a 'Point of inflection' as shown in the attachment. Regarding the finding T for [∏sin(∏t) + cos(∏t) = 0] Arildno you put a minus sign in front of the ∏sin(∏t), shouldn't it be positive when looking through my workings out? When we do this we get Tan(∏t) = -1/∏.

Please do point out anything that seems incorrect so far...
    -Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Oct 14, 2013 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I hastily removed my minus sign, because it was, as you point out, incorrect.

6. Oct 14, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you tried plotting a graph of x(t)? You should.

7. Oct 14, 2013 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Note that the whole solution tends to 0 as t gets big.
    Thus, your GLOBAL maximum should be your first LOCAL maximum, your GLOBAL minimum should be the first LOCAL minimum.

8. Oct 14, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your reasons are not sufficient in general, but they happen to lead to a correct result in this case. We can cook up functions that go to zero for large t, but whose maxima and/or minima occur at, say the 100th and 150th local max and min.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted