Finding the time for a splash to reach a bystander on a bridge

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a man jumping off a bridge in Mostar, Bosnia and finding the duration of the jump and the diver's impact speed with the river. The solution involves using the equation x = 1/2(Vo + V)T and taking into account the acceleration of gravity. It also mentions the reconstruction of the Mostar Bridge and the lack of weight in sound waves.
garcia1

Homework Statement

My problem is the last one, but it is a continuation of these first two problems, so I thought I'd include them.

In Mostar, Bosnia, the ultimate test of a
young man’s courage once was to jump off
a 400-year-old bridge (now destroyed) into
the River Neretva 27 m below the bridge.
How long did the jump last? The accelera-
tion of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of s.

How fast was the diver traveling upon impact
with the river?
Answer in units of m/s.

If the speed of sound in air is 343 m/s, how
long after the diver took off did a spectator
on the bridge hear the splash?
Answer in units of s.

Homework Equations

I used x = 1/2(Vo +V)T

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the values T = 2.3474 and V = -23.00 m/s for the 1st and 2nd portion respectively. On the third portion, I set the Vo to 0 m/s, and the distance as 27m as per the first problem. I also used V = 343 m/s from the last portion.

By plugging these values into equation x = 1/2(Vo + V)T, and solving for T, I got the answer .157.

Adding this to 2.3474s, which was the time it took for the diver to reach the water, I got the equation T = 2.3474s+.157s = 2.50s

This was wrong though, so I want to find out what I'm doing wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a constant velocity, u, the distance traveled is d = u*t.

NOTE: It might be of interest to note that the Mostar Bridge has been rebuilt, mostly using the original material from the destroyed bridge. Young men can once again challenge their nerve and threaten their continued virility by jumping 27m into a cold river.

Last edited:
I got the answer right, yet I'm interested to know why the acceleration vector is not included in the equation for constant velocity in this case. For doesn't the vector in this problem lie upon the y axis, which would be affected by the force of gravity?

Sound waves don't have weight.

It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations. However, it is important to make sure that you are using the correct equations and units for each part of the problem.

For the first part, finding the time for the jump to last, you can use the equation d = (1/2)gt^2, where d is the distance (27m), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time. Solving for t, we get t = √(2d/g) = 2.3474 seconds, as you calculated.

For the second part, finding the speed of the diver upon impact with the river, you can use the equation v = gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. Plugging in the values, we get v = (9.8 m/s^2)(2.3474s) = 23.00 m/s, as you calculated.

For the third part, finding the time it takes for a spectator on the bridge to hear the splash, we need to use the equation v = d/t, where v is the speed of sound (343 m/s), d is the distance (27m), and t is the time. Solving for t, we get t = d/v = 27m/343 m/s = 0.079s.

To find the total time for the splash to reach the bystander on the bridge, we can add the times calculated in the first and third parts, since they occur one after the other. So the total time would be 2.3474s + 0.079s = 2.4264s.

Make sure to always check your units and use the correct equations for each part of the problem. Good job on your attempt!

1. How long does it take for a splash to reach a bystander on a bridge?

The time it takes for a splash to reach a bystander on a bridge depends on several factors, including the height of the bridge, the force of the splash, and the distance between the splash and the bystander. In general, it can range from a few seconds to a few minutes.

2. What affects the speed of a splash reaching a bystander on a bridge?

The speed of a splash reaching a bystander on a bridge is affected by the initial velocity of the splash, the angle at which it hits the water, the air resistance, and the force of gravity. The shape and size of the object causing the splash can also play a role.

3. Can the distance between the splash and the bystander affect the time it takes for the splash to reach them?

Yes, the distance between the splash and the bystander can affect the time it takes for the splash to reach them. The closer the bystander is to the splash, the less time it will take for the splash to reach them. However, other factors such as the height of the bridge and the force of the splash also play a role.

4. How does the height of the bridge impact the time it takes for a splash to reach a bystander?

The height of the bridge can have a significant impact on the time it takes for a splash to reach a bystander. The higher the bridge, the longer the splash will take to reach the bystander due to the increased distance and the force of gravity pulling the splash down.

5. Is there a way to calculate or predict the time it takes for a splash to reach a bystander on a bridge?

Yes, it is possible to calculate or predict the time it takes for a splash to reach a bystander on a bridge by considering all the factors involved, such as the height of the bridge, the force of the splash, and the distance between the splash and the bystander. However, it may be challenging to account for all variables accurately, so the calculated time may vary from the actual time observed.