Finding the Volume of a Region Bounded by Two Planes in the First Octant

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brad_Ad23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Multiple
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Brad_Ad23
Messages
497
Reaction score
1
It has been a long while since I've done any multiple integral stuff and I must say this question posed to me has me stumped, even though I suspect it is trivial.

1. Find the volume of the of the region bounded by the first octant and x+z=3 and y+5z=15


I figure since it is in the first octant of 3D Euclidean coordinate system the lower bound should involve at some point x,y,z = 0, and I think I also need to get the point of intersection of the two planes, which I came up with as y = 5x which I have no idea if it is helpful or not. So some guidance would be appreciated if possible!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Get the plane equation, and you would see that you are finding volume under that plane.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/1989/96274221xa5.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The plane rootX is talking about is the one containing the lines x+ z= 3 with y=0, y+ 5z= 15 with x= 0, and 5x+ y= 15 with z= 0.