Finding the Volume of a Wedge Using Calculus - Calculus Worksheet Solution

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a wedge that is cut from a right circular cylinder shaped log, with one vertical and one 45 degree cut intersecting at the center. The suggested approach using integrals leads to the solution of 2ysqrt(a^2-y^2) = (2/3)a^3, while another approach using the volume of a sphere results in a different answer.
Pi Face
A log having the shape of a right circular cylinder of radius a is lying on its side. A wedge is removed from the log by making a vertical cut and another cut at an angle of 45 degrees, both cuts intersecting at the center of the log. Find the volume of the wedge.

And as soon as I finish typing the problem, I find the scan already online. Oh well.

http://www.mvla.net/teachers/JimM/Calculus%20BC-AP/Documents/Worksheet%205%204.pdf

#17 on the second page here.

Obviously, I'm supposed to use the integral somehow, but my first approach was different. Because the wedge has an angle of 45, I know it is 1/8 of the sphere around it. The volume of a sphere is V= (4/3)pi*r^3, and in this case, you just replace r with a. Now that you have the volume of the sphere, I just multiply it by 1/8 to get (1/6)pi*r^3.

However, this answer is totally different from the one in the book. The answer key has you take the integral from 0 to a of 2sqrt(a^2y^2) which equals (2/3)a^3

I don't understand how that works and how my thinking was wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean 2ysqrt(a^2-y^2) which equals (2/3)a^3?

That is not a part of the sphere if you look at it carefully

How they got 2ysqrt(a^2-y^2) ?
Using three integrals,
z goes from y to a
x goes from - sqrt(a^2-y^2) to sqrt(a^2-y^2)
y goes from 0 to a

solving this will give you 2ysqrt(a^2-y^2) = (2/3)a^3

Related to Finding the Volume of a Wedge Using Calculus - Calculus Worksheet Solution

What is a volume of revolution?

A volume of revolution is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This creates a solid shape with a circular cross-section.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of revolution?

The formula for calculating the volume of revolution is V = π∫(f(x))^2 dx, where f(x) is the function representing the shape being rotated and the integral is taken over the desired interval.

What are some common shapes used for volumes of revolution?

Some common shapes used for volumes of revolution include circles, squares, rectangles, and triangles. However, any two-dimensional shape can be used as long as it is rotated around an axis.

What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a volume of revolution?

A solid of revolution is the three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis, while a volume of revolution is the numerical value representing the amount of space the solid occupies.

How can volumes of revolution be applied in real-world situations?

Volumes of revolution have many practical applications, such as calculating the volume of a pipe or a cone-shaped container. They are also used in engineering and architecture to design and measure curved structures.