Finding Time-Derivative of V(x,y) with Chain Rule

  • Thread starter Thread starter Niles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chain Chain rule
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Niles
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi all.

I have an expression given by V(x,y) = ay+x2y2, where a is a constant. I wish to find the time-derivative of V(x,y), and this is what I have done:

[tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = a\dot y + \frac{d}{dt}x^2y^2,[/tex]
where the dot over y represents differentiation w.r.t. time. My problem is the last term, and I wish to use the chain-rule, but I am not sure how to use it. Can you give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.


Niles.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to do:
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}x^2[/tex]
(Assuming x is a fuction of t)
?