Finding Velocity and Displacement

In summary: I'm glad I tried it.In summary, the boat started from rest and accelerated at a rate of +2.01 m/s^2 for 7.25s. Then it accelerated at a rate of +0.518 m/s^2 for 8.05s. Finally, it slowed down to a rate of -1.49 m/s^2 for 8.05s.
BlackMamba
My problem states: A speedboat starts from rest and accelerates at +2.01 m/s^2 for 7.25s. At the end of this time, the boat continues for an additional 6.05s with an acceleration of +0.518 m/s^2. Following this, the boat accelerates at -1.49 m/s^2 for 8.05s.

(a) What is the velocity of the boat at t = 21.35s?

(b) Find the total displacement of the boat.

So here was my thinking. The boat was speeding up during the first two stages and slowing down during the third. t = 21.35s is nothing more than the three time intervals given in the question added together. So couldn't I just find the velocity for each time interval and then add them together? At least that's what I tried to do, and my answer was incorrect. I was having trouble discerning what the starting velocity would be for the last two intervals as the first one is clearly 0m/s.

I'm assuming also that once I've found the velocity at t = 21.35s. I will be able to use that to find the total displacement.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't work that way. You have to treat each interval separately.

Right, I suspected that. So even if I found the velocities of each time interval and added them together, that wouldn't give me the velocity of t = 21.35s.?

Nope! You're just going to have to do it!

Do what?! LOL Obviously, I have no idea what I'm doing. So I find the velocities of each interval, then what??

Find the velocities AND the distances for each interval. Use the velocity and position for each interval as the starting conditions for the next interval. Then you're done! :-)

Alright. I liked my initial way of doing things better. LOL

Yes, but just think of all fun you'll have on the journey!

Well I'll admit, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

1. What is velocity and displacement?

Velocity refers to the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction, while displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point.

2. How do you calculate velocity and displacement?

To calculate velocity, you divide the change in position by the change in time. Displacement is calculated by finding the difference between the final and initial positions of an object.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

4. How is velocity and displacement used in real life?

Velocity and displacement are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to describe and predict the motion of objects, such as cars, airplanes, and satellites.

5. Can velocity and displacement be negative?

Yes, velocity and displacement can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity, while a negative displacement means an object has moved in the opposite direction of its starting point.