Finding Velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the position of a particle is given by x = (6.6)cos(4.1t) where t is in seconds. The frequency of the particle's oscillation is ____ Hz. The particle will arrive at the equilibrium position for the first time ____ seconds after t = 0. The particle's velocity will be ______ m/s when t = 48 seconds.
MRMooneyham
The position of a particle is given by x = (6.6)cos(4.1t) where t is in seconds. The frequency of the particle's oscillation is ____ Hz.

I am completely at lost for this, its a new chapter in ap physics, and i don't understand it at all, my teacher is really busy so can someone explain it to me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you recall, the frequency is simply 1/T, where T is the period. Do you remember how to find the period of a sin/cos function (from trigonometry)?

nope sorry, I've never taken trig sadly

Never mind, i figured it out on my own

The position of a particle is given by x = (7.4)cos(5.8t) where t is in seconds. The particle will arrive at the equilibrium position for the first time ____ seconds after t = 0.

though if i could get some help with this...

Okay, well the x-axis is the position of the object/particle. You simply have to find the first time that the graph of x(t) = 0. Essentially it is asking you to find an x-intercept.

MRMooneyham said:
nope sorry, I've never taken trig sadly

I can't imagine why you would attempt to take AP physics without having taken trigonometry. Trig is absolutely essential for vector math in physics, which you will undoubtedly be presented with during your first physics course. Take trigonometry ASAP if you plan to learn physics.

I've hit another block with these kinds of problems
A particle of mass m begins at rest at time t = 0 from x = 7.9 meters and oscillates about its equilibrium position at x = 0 with a period of 5 seconds. If the position function is of the form

then the particle's velocity will be ______ m/s when t = 48 seconds.

Related to Finding Velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point. The motion is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from equilibrium, and this force always acts towards the equilibrium point.

2. What are some examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion include a mass attached to a spring, a pendulum, and a mass bouncing on a vertical spring. Other examples include the motion of a swinging door and the vibration of a guitar string.

3. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion differs from other types of motion because it follows a specific pattern and is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement. Other types of motion, such as linear motion or circular motion, do not have this specific pattern and may have different forces acting on the object.

4. What is the equation for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion?

The equation for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter.

5. How does amplitude affect simple harmonic motion?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement from equilibrium in simple harmonic motion. It affects the motion by determining the maximum speed and acceleration of the object. The greater the amplitude, the higher the maximum speed and acceleration during the motion. However, the period of the motion remains the same regardless of the amplitude.