Iterated integral in polar coordinates

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution∫∫ r√(16-r2) dr dΘThe problem is the bounds; because the circle isn't centered it's throwing me off. Would dr be from 2 to 4? That's the start and end of the radius as it's a circle centered at (2,0) with a radius of 2. Of course I'm assuming that dΘ is from 0 to 2pi. I tried integrating with dr from 0 to 2 and from 2 to 4, but both times the answer was different than Wolfram's.Do you understand what the object looks like? Can you post a decent picture, or describe it well in words?
e^(i Pi)+1=0

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the solid inside the hemisphere z=sqrt(16-x^2-y^2) and inside the cylinder x^2+y^2-4x=0

Homework Equations

z=sqrt(16-x2-y2)
x2+y2-4x=0
x=rcos(Θ)
y=rsin(Θ)

z=√(16-r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

∫∫ r√(16-r2) dr dΘ

The problem is the bounds; because the circle isn't centered it's throwing me off. Would dr be from 2 to 4? That's the start and end of the radius as it's a circle centered at (2,0) with a radius of 2. Of course I'm assuming that dΘ is from 0 to 2pi. I tried integrating with dr from 0 to 2 and from 2 to 4, but both times the answer was different than Wolfram's.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand what the object looks like? Can you post a decent picture, or describe it well in words?
The first trick is to get the order of integration right, and you have done that (z first here). But you need r to be a radius of the circle. How can you arrange that?

It's an offset vertical cylinder under a hemisphere. I don't follow what else you're saying.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the solid inside the hemisphere z=sqrt(16-x^2-y^2) and inside the cylinder x^2+y^2-4x=0

Homework Equations

z=sqrt(16-x2-y2)
x2+y2-4x=0
x=rcos(Θ)
y=rsin(Θ)

So what do you get for the polar coordinate equation of that cylinder? You need that.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
It's an offset vertical cylinder under a hemisphere. I don't follow what else you're saying.
Yes, it's offset, but can you be more precise about how the cylinder fits within the hemisphere? Draw a diagram for z=0.
In principle, you have a triple integral, ∫∫∫dxdydz. In what you posted, you have already done the dz integral, reducing it to ∫∫zdxdy. That was good. So now you can think of z as just a function of x and y, and forget the reality of the hemisphere.
In your conversion to polar, you have set r = √(x2+y2). That represents a radius of the hemisphere, which is no longer interesting. What will work better?

What is an iterated integral in polar coordinates?

An iterated integral in polar coordinates is a method of calculating the area under a curve in two dimensions. It involves breaking down the region of integration into small polar rectangles and summing up their areas.

What is the difference between an iterated integral in polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

The main difference is in the way the region of integration is divided. In Cartesian coordinates, the region is divided into small rectangles with sides parallel to the x and y axes. In polar coordinates, the region is divided into small polar rectangles with sides parallel to the polar axes (radius and angle).

How do you convert an iterated integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert an iterated integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you need to express the limits of integration and the integral itself in terms of polar variables (radius and angle). This involves using trigonometric identities to express x and y in terms of r and θ.

What are the advantages of using polar coordinates for iterated integrals?

Polar coordinates are particularly useful when dealing with circular or symmetrical regions, as they allow for simpler expressions and calculations. They also make it easier to visualize and interpret the integral in terms of the geometry of the region.

What are some common applications of iterated integrals in polar coordinates?

Iterated integrals in polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to calculate physical quantities such as moments of inertia, center of mass, and electric fields. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate areas and volumes under curves.