Iterated integral in polar coordinates

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the solid inside the hemisphere z=sqrt(16-x^2-y^2) and inside the cylinder x^2+y^2-4x=0

Homework Equations

z=sqrt(16-x2-y2)
x2+y2-4x=0
x=rcos(Θ)
y=rsin(Θ)

z=√(16-r2)

The Attempt at a Solution

∫∫ r√(16-r2) dr dΘ

The problem is the bounds; because the circle isn't centered it's throwing me off. Would dr be from 2 to 4? That's the start and end of the radius as it's a circle centered at (2,0) with a radius of 2. Of course I'm assuming that dΘ is from 0 to 2pi. I tried integrating with dr from 0 to 2 and from 2 to 4, but both times the answer was different than Wolfram's.

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Do you understand what the object looks like? Can you post a decent picture, or describe it well in words?
The first trick is to get the order of integration right, and you have done that (z first here). But you need r to be a radius of the circle. How can you arrange that?

It's an offset vertical cylinder under a hemisphere. I don't follow what else you're saying.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the solid inside the hemisphere z=sqrt(16-x^2-y^2) and inside the cylinder x^2+y^2-4x=0

Homework Equations

z=sqrt(16-x2-y2)
x2+y2-4x=0
x=rcos(Θ)
y=rsin(Θ)

So what do you get for the polar coordinate equation of that cylinder? You need that.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
It's an offset vertical cylinder under a hemisphere. I don't follow what else you're saying.
Yes, it's offset, but can you be more precise about how the cylinder fits within the hemisphere? Draw a diagram for z=0.
In principle, you have a triple integral, ∫∫∫dxdydz. In what you posted, you have already done the dz integral, reducing it to ∫∫zdxdy. That was good. So now you can think of z as just a function of x and y, and forget the reality of the hemisphere.
In your conversion to polar, you have set r = √(x2+y2). That represents a radius of the hemisphere, which is no longer interesting. What will work better?