Finding Volume of a Bounded Cylinder with Double Integral

In summary, the answer to this problem is said to be 16p, but I couldn't find it. I found it in double integral part. So it must be solved with double integral. I tried with Jacobian tranformation. but still couldn't solve it."
One-D
problem:
find volume bordered by cylinder x^2 + y^2 = 4 and y+z=4 and z=4.
the answer is said to be 16p. but I couldn't find it.
I found it in double integral part.so it must be solved with double integral. I tried with Jacobian tranformation. nut still couldn't solve it. I was confused with what function should be integrated. because the cylinder has no border in z line.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start, of course, by drawing a picture. I drew the picture using y as horizontal axis, z a vertical axis. The cylinder is just the 2 lines y= 2, y= -2. y+ z= 4 is represented by a line from (-2, 6) to (0,4) to (2,2). Notice that the plane z= 4 cuts that line in half. I interpret the "volume bordered by ..." as meaning the sections both below and above z= 4. Since they are clearly symmetric, just find the area of the section below z= 4 and double.

Projecting the figure down into the xy-plane, we get the portion of the circle x2+ y2= 4 above the x-axis. x ranges from -2 to 2 and, for each x, y ranges from 0 up to √(4- x2). For each (x,y) in that half circle, z ranges from z= 4-y (below) to 4 (above). The volume is given by
[tex]\int_{-2}^2\int_0^{\sqrt{4-x^2}}y dy dx[/tex]

If you've done integrals in polar coordinates, since this is a half circle, you could also do it as
[tex]\int_0^2 \int_0^{\pi} r sin(\theta) r d\theta dr[/tex].

I don't know what "16p" is. What is "p"? I get 16/3 as the volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
yesterday I had thought it again and I think I have found it. but it's seems diffrent from yours. why does the integration to y? shouldn't it (4-y)? I assumed that the section is under z=4 and above z+y=4 inside x^2+y^2=4.
p=3.14. I will check it again. thanx
oh yes I got it now. you subtract z=4 with z=4-y. am I right? thanx

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct.

Related to Finding Volume of a Bounded Cylinder with Double Integral

1. How do you find the volume of a bounded cylinder using a double integral?

The volume of a bounded cylinder can be found by using a double integral, which involves integrating the cross-sectional area of the cylinder over its entire height. This can be represented as ∭dV = ∬A(x,y)dxdy, where A(x,y) is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder at a given height.

2. What is the formula for the cross-sectional area of a cylinder?

The cross-sectional area of a cylinder is equal to πr^2, where r is the radius of the cylinder.

3. How do you determine the limits of integration for a double integral for finding the volume of a bounded cylinder?

The limits of integration for a double integral depend on the shape and orientation of the cylinder. For a horizontal cylinder, the limits would be the radius of the base and the height of the cylinder. For a vertical cylinder, the limits would be the radius of the base and the length of the cylinder. These limits can be determined by visualizing the cross-sectional area of the cylinder at different heights.

4. Can a double integral be used to find the volume of a cylinder with a non-circular base?

Yes, a double integral can be used to find the volume of a cylinder with a non-circular base. The formula for the cross-sectional area would need to be adjusted to match the shape of the base.

5. How is the concept of double integration related to finding the volume of a bounded cylinder?

The concept of double integration is related to finding the volume of a bounded cylinder because it involves integrating over two variables, x and y, to find the volume. This is necessary because the cross-sectional area of the cylinder varies in both the x and y directions. By integrating over these variables, we can find the total volume of the cylinder.